Open Job in Academic & University Community Engagement Manager – South Central Region
HOW TO APPLY *
To apply for this position, please include a copy of your resume and cover letter (make this the first page of your resume) and apply at https://careers.umich.edu/job_detail/190950/community_engagement_manager_-_south_central_region
(Your salary will be determined by your qualifications, experience, and education.)
This position is eligible for telework.
JOB SUMMARY *
Come join a team of passionate individuals at a non-profit serving Michigan’s public universities, colleges, K-12 organizations, libraries, state government, healthcare and other Michigan non-profit organizations for over 54 years! You will be an integral part of the Merit team, a dynamic, innovative team member, ready to contribute to and execute the mission of Merit.
Reporting to the Director of Member Engagement, you will identify, organize and execute efforts to support the needs and strategies required of our Southcentral Region members. You will develop and implement strategic plans to include analysis of member needs and service requirements, including on-going outreach and support. You will be the primary account manager for key accounts also supporting strategy development, service sales, and recruitment to support the following:
- Member Engagement – Sales & Account Management outreach activities
- Merit Services sales
- Member recruitment
You will work both independently and within a team environment as well as across the organization with other Merit departments. You should be able to manage multiple projects and opportunities, and be able to prioritize and manage your work schedule in a fast-paced environment.
You will become a Subject Matter Expert for at least one Merit security service, in addition to building sound knowledge and capabilities with regard to our Network Services portfolio.
Please Note: This position is based out of our Ann Arbor, MI location and will require regular travel within the Southcentral Michigan region.
To learn more about Merit Network, please visit our website: https://www.merit.edu/
WHAT YOU’LL DO *
Essential functions for this position are followed be an (E).
As the Community Engagement Manager, Southcentral Region, your key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Engagement & Procurement Activities (70%):
- Be the primary contact for Regional accounts, SC Michigan accounts and related strategic stakeholders. (E)
- This position is responsible for sales of Merit services and Member recruitment. (E)
- Develop and implement a business plan to grow Merit’s Membership within assigned region or Membership vertical, expand adoption of Merit services, and facilitate procurement channel growth for the organization. Membership segments to include: Governing Member organizations, Community Networks and Cyber Range customers. (E)
- Lead account management and outreach activities – ensure coordination with appropriate Merit resources (E)
- Engage with decision makers and technical staff to provide consultation on current and future needs of Merit services and network connections. (E)
- Prepare and/or present relevant content at meetings, training sessions, seminars and conferences.
- Provide pre and post-sales outreach. (E)
- Develop and respond to RFPs, initiate quotes and proposals for the sale of services. (E)
- Manage with self-sufficiency through the sales process of inquiry, discovery, quoting, presentation and closing. (E)
- Accurately document all sales and engagement related activities and progress in CRM, with accurate judgment of projected close dates and contract amounts. Document appropriate support information (E).
- Develop, qualify and close service sales leads, achieving sale and account management objectives set forth by management. (E)
- Work with internal support team to coordinate quoting, installation and support activities. (E)
- Be a resource to Merit’s Members in other regions as requested by management.
- Attend various conferences within Michigan and nationally, as required.
- Deliver highly customer focused service – manage, build, and develop all external relationships with key stakeholders within member and prospective member organizations including but not limited to requests from members for billing and invoice inquiries as well as service issues. (E)
- Assist with creation and execution of community meetings, events, and webinars.
- Conduct lead generation activities at conferences and events in Michigan and nationally.
- Responsible for revenue generation and Membership growth. (E)
Sales Engineering (20%):
- Conduct and/or determine scope definition, analysis of Member requirements, WAN designs, performance projections, Member satisfaction measures, and project management. (E)
- Facilitate technical sales support discussion with Merit engineers, as required.
- Conduct capacity planning exercise with assigned Governing Member institutions in coordination with Merit’s strategic engineering staff.
- Acquire and maintain understanding of Network and Security technologies and services. (E)
Other Duties (10%):
- Develop Subject Matter Expertise in the focus area of Merit’s Cybersecurity offerings, as a minimum.
- Maintain knowledge about growing technology trends.
- Serve as Merit’s physical presence in an assigned geographical region. When necessary, assist Merit Network Operations, Merit Support Center, and Network Engineering within geographical region.
- Provide useful product enhancement insight to Merit staff as identified through engagement activities.
SKILLS YOU HAVE *
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in business administration, with an emphasis on customer service and information technology or related field and/or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in marketing and sales of technology products.
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience in account management, customer service, out-bound sales or equivalent hands-on, in-person consulting experience.
- Demonstrated experience strengthening ties with existing clients as well as cultivating customers in multiple sectors of the market.
- Demonstrated experience in a technical outreach role including writing, preparing, and responding to proposals, and coordinating meetings with various IT and technical departments to manage and finalize projects.
- Understanding of Network and Security technologies and services.
- Ability to interact professionally and proficiently with individuals at all levels of an organization on technical and strategic discussion topics, involving Merit Executive Management as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (particularly related to technical subjects). Demonstrated excellence in presentation skills. Must be self-motivated, work well independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a collaborative process to respond, track, and manage Member requests and communications, in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated performance in revenue generation, retention and membership recruiting.
- Fluency with MS Office applications, email, shared calendaring, CRM, and other collaborative applications. Experience with Visio and a plus.
- Strong willingness to understand and to continuously strive to improve knowledge of Merit’s services portfolio and technologies in order to be able to communicate confidently about them to the Merit Community.
- Consulting experience related to community building, business initiatives, product launches and expansions, public private partnership relations, and technology related projects.
- Experience with state and national associations.
- Experience being a trusted representative to external individuals and groups.
- Experience working with higher education, K-12 educational institutions, libraries, government, healthcare, research institutions and other public sector non-profit organizations.
- Experience in marketing and/or sales of technology products and/or services to non-profit or educational markets.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION *
We are committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, multiple dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, multiple early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at http://careers.umich.edu/benefits/
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by you (with or without accommodations) to perform the essential functions of the job.
You must frequently work at a computer station, answer telephone calls, emails, and other forms of customer/client communication. You may on occasion move items of varying sizes and weights throughout the office or building.
Regular travel within Southcentral Michigan is required.
The University of Michigan/Merit Network conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third-party administrator to conduct background checks in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for at least seven (7) calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
CONTACT INFORMATION *
- If you have any questions regarding this job, please visit our website: https://www.merit.edu/about/careers/
- Assistance is available if you need help completing this application; please call (734) 615-2000, option 1
EEO/AA STATEMENT *
The University of Michigan/Merit Network is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
The University of Michigan/Merit Network is a non-discriminatory/affirmative action employer.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.