Free open Job in North, South & Central America Senior Lecturer/Lecturer in Sustainable Crop Production Systems at University of the West Indies
THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES ST. AUGUSTINE, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO, WEST INDIES
FACULTY OF FOOD AND AGRICULTURE, DEPARTMENT OF FOOD PRODUCTION
SENIOR LECTURER/LECTURER IN SUSTAINABLE CROP PRODUCTION SYSTEMS
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate must possess a PhD, which should be in Crop Science or a closely related field, with a focus on Sustainable Crop Production and Horticultural Systems and Technologies, including but not limited to:
- Open Field and Protected Systems
- Plant Propagation
- Crop Germplasm Characterization
Candidates should also possess:
- Considerable teaching experience at a recognized university at the undergraduate level
- Experience in teaching courses related to Tropical Crops, Sustainable Cropping Systems, Horticulture and Plant Propagation (both macro- and micro-propagation)
- A good record of publications in high-impact peer-reviewed journals and documented research experience in Crop Science.
Candidates with the following would have an advantage:
- BSc in Agriculture or Agronomy
- Advanced level training in molecular techniques and tissue culture
- Experience in teaching courses at the postgraduate level
- Experience in successful supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Experience working with tropical tree and root crops
- Experience in using molecular techniques in germplasm characterization
- Ability to operate field labs, tissue culture lab, greenhouses, nursery and propagation facilities
- Conducting research experiments in tropical crops
- Possess practical skills in Sustainable Tropical Tree and Root Crops Production and Management.
The following would be considered assets:
- Training in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics Applications in Crop Science
- A good track record of developing thematic research programmes and history of attracting research funding
- Experience in applying research findings to satisfy industry needs
- Experience in teaching courses in Biotechnology and Bioinformatics Applications in Crop Science
- Experience in the revision of existing curricula or the development of new curricula to keep abreast of development and innovation in the area of expertise
- Competence in writing research proposals and developing research collaborations.
The Department places high priority on individuals of integrity who can work well in a team and student friendly environment. Candidates should also possess good communication and interpersonal skills. A good command of both oral and written English is essential. Candidates should also:
- Be well-rounded in the Crop Science discipline
- Be committed to excellence in teaching and have a strong interest in mentoring students
- Be self-motivated and capable of motivating others
- Be willing to forge working relationships and meaningful engagement with external stakeholders
- Be able to work proactively and provide leadership within collaborative and multi-disciplinary teams
- Be willing to teach on virtual platforms in real time.
The full advertisement and further details of the post may be obtained here.
Applications received after the deadline date will not be considered.
Deadline for receipt of applications: 2021 September 12