Free open Job in North, South & Central America Research Fellow – Volcanology at University of the West Indies
University of the West Indies – Seismic Research Centre
|Placed on:||20th February 2017|
|Closes:||5th March 2017|
|Job Ref:||162/25/15 I I|
Qualification & Experience
The successful candidate must possess a PhD or equivalent in a volcanological or risk-related subject.
Candidates should preferably have experience in quantitative risk assessment of hazardous phenomena along with familiarity with the development of training courses. Practical experience at a volcano observatory and residential experience at a volcano observatory would be advantageous.
Special Expertise/Area of Concentration
Natural Hazard Risk Assessment, Volcanology
- Conduct quantitative risk assessments using methodologies developed by the Scientific Advisory Committee, including Expert Elicitation. This will require close co-operation with SAC members to ensure no duplication of effort.
- Carry out research on methodologies for Quantitative Risk Assessment.
These will be developed using data and information from Montserrat and other islands monitored by the Seismic Research Centre, University of the West Indies.
- Carry out research on the modelling of volcanic hazards and risks.
- Develop post graduate courses in volcano monitoring and /or physical volcanology for delivery in Montserrat
- Assist in other MVO research, monitoring and outreach activities.
- Act as deputy to the Director in the latter’s absence from Montserrat or otherwise as delegated by the Director.
The Department places high priority on individuals who can work well in a team environment. Candidates should also possess good communication and interpersonal skills. A good command of both oral and written English is essential. Candidates should also:
- Demonstrate the ability or potential for excellence in teaching and
- Be creative and innovative
- Be student centred
- Have leadership skills
Detailed application (two copies) and full curriculum vitae should be sent to the Campus Registrar, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I., Fax No. 1-868-663-9684; e-mail: HRApplications@sta.uwi.edu. Three (3) referees (one of whom should be from your present organization) must be indicated. Application forms can be obtained at http://www.sta.uwi.edu in the Faculty & Staff, Job Vacancies section. Further particulars including remuneration package can be obtained at the above address. In order to expedite the appointment procedures, applicants are advised to ask their referees to send their references under CONFIDENTIAL cover DIRECTLY to the Campus Registrar at the above address without waiting to be contacted by the University.
Deadline for application: March 05, 2017
Share this job
If you have a comment to make about the overall quality of this advert,
or its categorisation then please
send us your feedback
North, South & Central America