Free open Job in North, South & Central America Civic Science Storytelling at The US-UK Fulbright Commission
The US-UK Fulbright Commission is now accepting applications for the Civic Science Storytelling fellowship
The US-UK Fulbright Commission in partnership with the Rita Allen Foundation is offering an award for an early-career journalist with a deep knowledge of science, and a passion for public engagement, to play a role in building public awareness of civic science.
The award is part of the Civic Science Fellows programme, which invests in a cohort of leaders to foster new collaborations, allowing science and research to more meaningfully connect with diverse communities and our shared civic life.
One fellowship is available to a science journalism professional to be hosted by the University of Oregon’s Center for Science Communication Research (SCR), here the fellow will:
- Produce and curate a body of journalistic work reporting on civic science
- Develop a teaching tool kit for telling stories about civic science
- Work with researchers at SCR to assess the impact of civic science journalism on communities traditionally suspicious of science and scientists
- Play an active role in the Civic Science Fellows network
Over the 18 months of the award, the fellow will pursue their own reporting on civic science for a variety of media outlets while working with colleagues at the SCR to source best practice examples of civic science journalism and to establish a teaching framework that can be used for both university students and professional journalists. Alongside the journalistic activity, the awardee will also be part of the 2021 Civic Science Fellows cohort and will participate in regular webinars and in-person as well as online convenings, helping to build connections and collaborations between communities of interest in the UK and the US.
The selected fellow will be paid in total a stipend of US$120,000 plus benefits (health insurance for the fellow) for the 18 months of the fellowship. There will also be a travel allowance. The fellow’s J-1 visa will be sponsored by the University of Oregon.
- A UK citizen – we also welcome candidates from British Overseas Territories
- Science journalism professional, preferably early career, looking to engage in the practice and teaching of journalism in order to further the understanding of civic science
- Available for 18 months ideally from September 2021 to February 2023
- Dual US-UK citizens, US Green Card holders, or individuals who are resident in the US at the time of application are ineligible to apply
Closing Date: 11.59PM Sunday 15 August
For full information and to apply please click the Apply button below.
Apply button redirects to: http://fulbright.org.uk/going-to-the-usa/academic-and-professional/fulbright-scholar-awards/awards-available/civic-science-storytelling