Job offer in london Topological Atlas – PhD studentships (full-time) at Goldsmiths, University of London
- Produce a thesis on visuality and ethics embedded within digital technologies of mapping, sensing and securitisation.
- Contribute to the project field work in at least one border site.
- Disseminate their own research within the project in academic and non-academic settings.
- MA or equivalent in relevant subject area.
- Experience of working on the broad topic of migration, borders or human rights.
- Knowledge of debates in the broad field of visual culture and migration and/or human rights.
- Excellent oral, written and visual communication skills.
- Ability to work well to deadlines.
- Experience of working on border cases.
- Knowledge of the technologies deployed to securitise international borders.
- Knowledge of the field of critical cartography, mapping and visualisation.
- Language skills in Urdu, Balochi or Hindi.
- Advanced skills in architectural modelling, GIS etc.
The scholarships are 3 years full time, one covers UK/EU tuition fees (or an equivalent contribution towards fees for international students) and the other covers international fees. Both studentships include a tax-free stipend at the standard RCUK rate (£14,777 plus £2,000 London allowance for 2018/19). The PhD start date to be no later than 1 April 2019.
How to apply
Eligible candidates should apply via the Goldsmiths PhD application form: https://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/mphil-phd-research-architecture/
They should also send the following via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Covering letter (max 2 pages A4) on your interests relating to the broad topics of migration, borders and human rights. Include the questions you are curious to explore around visuality and ethics in relation to digital technologies of mapping, sensing and securitisation at the border.
- One sample of work – written or visual.
- Details of two referees.
Closing date for applications: 3 October 2018. Interviews: week commencing 15 October 2018.
For informal inquiries, please contact Nishat Awan – email@example.com.
No agencies please.