Job offer in Ireland Professor of Theoretical Physics – Maynooth University, National University of Ireland Maynooth
Maynooth University (National University of Ireland, Maynooth) is the fastest growing university in Ireland with over 10,000 students and outstanding research and scholarship in the sciences, humanities and social sciences. The university is now entering a new and exciting phase of its development, with a new strategic plan centred on further enhancing our academic programmes, providing a distinctive student experience of the highest quality, focusing our research activities on a small number of priority themes, and further internationalising the university. To support this development, the university is seeking to recruit outstanding academics, with a strong track record of research and teaching, to the following position:
The Department of Theoretical Physics (formerly Department of Mathematical Physics) at Maynooth University was established in 1960, building on a tradition of natural science in Maynooth that stretches back to the founding of the college in 1795. The Department offers high quality education in theoretical physics and the associated mathematics at both undergraduate and postgraduate level and hosts an active community of Ph.D. students and postdoctoral fellows. It is also responsible for teaching of modules in mathematics to Engineering students and in mathematics and physics to Design Innovation students.
The strong and thriving research environment in the Department is evidenced by its extensive network of international collaborations and by its continuing success in securing external research funding. Particular research strengths exist in quantum field theory, cosmology, lattice gauge theory, topological aspects of high energy and condensed matter physics, strongly correlated systems and quantum information and computation.
The department has excellent facilities on the Maynooth University North campus, including a dedicated computing laboratory. For more information on the Department, please visit https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/theoretical-physics.
Maynooth University is committed to a strategy in which the primary University goals of excellent research and scholarship and outstanding education are interlinked and equally valued. Professors will be expected to provide significant intellectual leadership, through a demonstrated commitment to both education and research, and also to contribute to the effective leadership and management of the Department, the Faculty and the University.
We are seeking an academic with an outstanding record to join our staff as Professor of Theoretical Physics. Applications are welcome from candidates with research strengths in theoretical aspects of one or more of the following areas:
- cosmology and astroparticle physics;
- condensed matter, especially strongly correlated systems;
- quantum information.
The person appointed will have an excellent record of teaching, research and publication and will be expected to make a strong contribution to the teaching, research and profile of the University, and to provide ongoing leadership for the discipline.
A Professor of the University is expected to:
- Be an international leader in research and scholarship and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the field;
- Provide leadership in research and scholarship within the Department, Faculty and University;
- Promote excellence in teaching and learning, and encourage innovation in teaching and learning amongst staff;
- Contribute to the teaching of undergraduate and postgraduate students, including lecturing, consultations with individual students, and supervision of research students;
- Contribute to the development of the curriculum and academic programmes within the discipline and more generally;
- Assume responsibilities for management and administrative tasks associated with the Department, Faculty and University;
- Be an active member of the University and contribute to the work of the University in outreach, collaboration, internationalisation, engagement and policy development.
Professors of the University are required to serve as Head of Department when requested to do so by the President.
The ideal candidate will have:
- An outstanding record of research and scholarship, reflected in an excellent publication profile;
- An outstanding academic record as a university teacher and an educational innovator;
- The capacity to offer strong academic leadership within the department and across the university;
- Demonstrated management and administrative skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- The ability to build effective relationships with a wide variety of internal and external colleagues.
For further details including full comprehensive job description please see the Maynooth University vacancies page at: https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/human-resources/vacancies