Faculty Job in Academic & University Course Mentor, Marketing – HigherEdJobs
The primary focus of the faculty at WGU is student learning. Because of our unique student-centric,
competency-based approach, faculty serve in different roles compared to traditional schools and other online schools.
at WGU function in a professorial role as subject matter experts who assist students as they engage specific sections of the WGU curriculum.
The type, length, and intensity of instructional method vary based upon student needs. Course Mentors help students with specific questions
that arise and offer specialized instruction on challenging topics. Their primary focus is on bringing WGU courses of study to life through
one-to-one or one-to-many forums. Course Mentors do not develop WGU courses, construct tests, or grade assessments independently, but may
contribute subject matter expertise to a larger course design effort that includes national directors, instructional designers, program
development managers, COS editors, product vendors, assessment/project designers, and others. Course mentor contribution to this team effort
reflects the university’s disaggregated model. Their experience and training is specific to the courses they support. They are
knowledgeable and can address issues related to a course, learning resource content, or an assessment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND
RESPONSIBILITIES (Including but not limited too):
- Provide expertise in the content area.
- Respond to student
inquiries about content, course of study, learning resource, or assessment.
- Maintain current and active knowledge in the expertise
area in order to bring examples and ideas to students.
- Communicate professionally, relate well, and share a passion for the content
in an effort to motivate a diverse group of students.
- Coach students to competency development by asking open-ended questions,
brainstorming next steps, and maintaining accountability.
- Provide additional resources to students based on content expertise,
while maintaining the students’ responsibility for task competency.
- Empower students to develop competency by sharing a
passion for the subject.
- Provide relevant information on student tasks based on feedback from graders.
- We are seeking candidates who are willing to dedicate their time to the Course Mentor position as their only focus
for the first year of employment with WGU.
- Success in working on complex projects using a collaborative work model;
- Superior writing and technology skills;
- Mastery of relevant competencies and topics associated with the assigned COS(s).
- Well organized.
- Attentive to detail.
- Ability to assist and support others
- Subject matter expertise
- Ability to respond quickly and thoroughly to student questions and concerns
- Travel to and participation
in semi-annual academic meetings is required.
Education: An advanced, doctorate, or terminal degree in Marketing or related content area is required.
Other qualifications and/or licensure may be required for some degree programs.
Experience/Expertise: Experience providing
student support and instruction; demonstrated ability to work with struggling or at-risk learners.
Able to utilize phone, email, Internet, instant message, Microsoft office suite, and technology based delivery systems. Soft
skills: Leadership; communication; independent self-starter/self-manager; understanding and appreciation of competency-based education;
proficiency in oral and written English communication; track record for effective coaching and communication skills within a diverse
population; and demonstrated professionalism that displays effective judgment and professional integrity. Other: Able to pass a
criminal background check. Must be lawfully employable in the United States either by virtue of citizenship or by permanent residency via a
Preferred Qualifications Experience working with adult learners and distance learning environments
preferred; experience with APA formatting preferred.
WORK FROM HOME, Utah, United States
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people.
We are committed to diversity.
© Copyright 2017 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.