Open executive Job in Academic & University Director, Institute for Writing & Thinking
methodogies, learn from each other, and re-think how writing fosters and shapes thinking. Through collaborative, hands-on, experiential
workshops, teachers from across the curriculum consider what happens in the classroom when writing is both a record of completed thought and
an exploratory process that supports teaching. The Institute’s experienced and committed faculty associates collaborate to create and teach
challenging, engaging, and effective teacher workshops and conferences. The Institute aims to create a place where teachers and faculty
renew themselves intellectually, imagine new teaching ideas, and envision classrooms in which writing becomes a catalyst for learning in all
College is seeking a Director of the Institute for Writing & Thinking (IWT). The Director serves in a leadership role within the college
and within the Bard network, as well as for the seventy IWT Associate Faculty, whose collaborative efforts developing workshops and
designing writing practices define IWT and set it apart from other writing and professional development programs for secondary and college
teachers. The Director, in conversation with Institute program staff and Associate faculty, provides organizational vision, oversees the
development of IWT annual and new programming, provides administrative leadership for the Director of the Language & Thinking Program,
ensures the fiscal health of the organization, and works with program faculty to develop and deliver professional development opportunities
for both domestic and international schools and institutions. Duties include liaising with Bard College offices, Bard network programs and
Institutions; representing the Institute at conferences, and working with the College and the Office of Development to secure funding
through grants, foundations and collaborations. The Director reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Oversees, with program and administrative staff, all aspects of the Institute’s operations.
with IWT Business Coordinator to review all IWT program budgets to ensure the fiscal health of the Institute.
- Works with Director
of Faculty and Curriculum to envision professional development opportunities for IWT Faculty Associates, teachers, and faculty.
- With program and administrative staff, develops operational objectives, policies and procedures.
- Supports program directors
with advice and direction as needed.
- Prepares reports and financial information as needed.
- With Program staff represents
IWT to schools, districts, and higher ed institutions.
- Oversees with IWT Business Coordinator program budget development and
- Continues to build Institute visibility in the U.S and abroad.
least fours years experience in a program/organizational leadership role.
- Substantial experience within U.S. public schools and
familiarity with landscape of education policy and standards.
- Experience with Faculty Development.
- Deep experience with
- Substantial budgetary experience and negotiating contracts and MOUs.
- Ability to work with diverse
range of administrators and faculty.
- Three to five-years experience of event management.
- Terminal Degree. PhD preferred.
- Experience in public school system.
- Experience with Writing across the Curriculum and
Within the Disciplines.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three contact references, as well as a writing sample and
statement of pedagogical approach, through Interfolio.com at: http://apply.interfolio.com/44258
Bard College is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from those who contribute to our diversity.
© Copyright 2017 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.