Open executive Job in Academic & University Dean (req2490) – HigherEdJobs
Faculty Type: Tenure/Tenure-Track
Department: Gallup Branch
Academic Location: Gallup Branch
The University of New Mexico provides a comprehensive package of benefits
including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. In addition, UNM offers educational benefits through the tuition remission and
dependent education programs. See the Benefits home page for more
The University of New Mexico (UNM) invites application and
nominations for an experienced leader to the position of Dean of Instruction (Chief Academic Officer) of the UNM Gallup Campus reporting
directly to the Chief Executive Officer of the Campus. The position is a 12-month administrative position carrying faculty rank.
UNM Gallup is located approximately 135 miles west of Albuquerque and the main UNM Campus. It is one of four two-year branch campuses of
UNM and is designed a Minority-Serving Institution by the U.S. Department of Education. The enrollment of approximately 2,500 students
includes one of the largest percentages of Native American student populations of any non-tribal college in the United States.
UNM Gallup is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association and offers transfer degrees,
Career-Technical certificates and degrees, Adult Education, Community Education and Workforce Development Training, and a large range of
Dual Credit programming in conjunction with area high schools, including an on-site Early College Charter School. Gallup has a population of
approximately 21,000 serving as the seat of McKinley County. The area provides an abundance of outdoor recreational opportunities within
some of the most beautiful red rock country in the Southwest. Gallup is known for its location in the heart of the Native American lands.
The Dean of Instruction is the College’s Chief Academic Officer with overall responsibility for leadership and administration
of the instructional programs and the faculty. Approximately 70 full-time and 65 part-time faculty are fully engaged in the shared
governance system and the Dean works closely with faculty leaders to ensure excellence in the academic program. Programs of the Institution
are carried out through four academic administrative units including: 1) Arts and Sciences, 2) Business and Applied Technology, 3)
Education, Health and Human Services, and 4) the College Library. Division Chairs report directly to the Dean. The Dean is a member of the
Campus Executive Leadership Team providing overall guidance to instructional activities of the campus under the leadership of the Chief
The Dean’s Leadership responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Encouraging and facilitating excellence in teaching, scholarly pursuits, and services to the college and the community, with a special
emphasis on student success.
- Academic strategic planning, development and oversight of the instructional budget, and ongoing review
and assessment of all programs of the College.
- The Dean works closely with the leadership of the faculty and the Office of the
Provost to oversee the Promotion and Tenure and faculty hiring processes.
- The Dean promotes educational innovation including
instructional technologies through the college service area.
- Encourages faculty development and administers the Faculty
Professional Development Fund.
- Works to build close relationship with Deans and Department Chairs of academic programs on the
Albuquerque campus and other branch campuses, and serves as a member of the UNM Dean’s Council under the leadership of the Provost.
- The Dean maintains close working relationships with area governments, Tribal leaderships, the business community, school districts, and
College Alumni and professional associations to ensure the on-going relevance of academic programs to meet the needs of the community.
- An earned doctorate from an accredited
- At least three years at the rank of Professor, having earned tenure at an accredited institution and having the
ability to qualify for tenure at UNM Gallup.
- At least three years work experience at the level of senior campus leadership.
Demonstrated success in:
- Academic strategic planning
- Faculty governance systems in a shared governance system
- University promotion and tenure systems
- Developing and
overseeing complex instructional budgets, including grant funded activities
- Curriculum development, student learning outcomes
assessment, and program review
- Applications of instructional technology, including e-learning, distance learning, and
classroom/curriculum management systems
- Securing funding from private, state, and federal resources
- Working with diverse
student populations and a commitment to meeting the needs of all students
- Experience working with technical and professional
programs that lead to a certificate and/or degree
- Working collaboratively with local business, schools, governments, and the
community-at-large to identify and meet education and workforce needs
- Strategic enrollment management
- A commitment to
diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
To apply, please submit the following materials in UNMJobs at https://unmjobs.unm.edu
1. Cover Letter that addresses the Minimum Qualifications and the Preferred Qualfications
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. A list of names and contact information of three (3) professional references and two (2)
supervisory references who can speak to your directly relevant knowledge, skills and experience.
Finalists selected for
on-campus interviews will be asked to produce official transcripts for the delivery to UNM Gallup Dean of Instruction Office, 705 Gurley
Avenue, Gallup, New Mexico 87301.
Applicants who are appointed to a UNM faculty position are required to provide an official
certification of successful completion of all degree requirements prior to their initial employment with UNM.
For best consideration, please apply by 11/3/2017. This position will remain open until filled.
© Copyright 2017 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.