Open executive Job in Academic & University Dean of Students – HigherEdJobs
Laguna College of Art + Design, is seeking a full-time experienced Dean of Students. The College is located in an internationally
recognized arts colony in Laguna Beach, California and offers a diversity of majors in Animation, Graphic Design and Digital Media, Fine
Art, Game Art, Illustration and Entertainment Design.
Direct student affairs, including
supervision: student life, student activities, student housing, student counseling, career services. Serves as student advocate within the
academic and administrative structure of the College.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise the Director of Student Life, Director of Career Services and College Counseling Services. (Will also function as the interim
Director of Student Life until post-COVID when additional staff can again be hired.) Including overseeing the recruitment, hiring,
orientation, training and supervision of department staff; oversee performance evaluation process, ensuring consistent use of all applicable
policies and procedures; apply performance management for improved performance, make recommendations in discipline and terminations, as
- Work with the Vice President of Enrollment Management to develop institutional policies and procedures as they relate to
- Create Student Affairs programs that ensure services to students are consistent with the mission of the College, meet
their needs, and promote positive learning and development.
- Collaborate with Admissions, Bursar, and Financial Aid offices to
ensure that students receive necessary services and information.
- Oversee Student Code of Conduct – Intervene with students in
situations with potential for disciplinary action. Advise students of recommendations for disciplinary probation. Mediate between
administration, faculty and students.
- Function as the college’s Title IX Officer
- Partner with other departments to
advance the strategic initiatives of the College and to enhance the student experience.
- Engage with Academic Affairs to ensure the
success of both curricular and co-curricular experiences for students including assessment of departmental programs and services and assist
in institutional assessment and improvement initiatives.
- Track students’ probationary status. Meet with students of concern
throughout the semester. Communicate to faculty about student concerns as needed.
- Work in partnership with Campus Safety and
Counseling Services to manage student mental health emergencies, planning and response efforts in collaboration with other Student Affairs
staff and College leadership.
- Serve on the Retention Committee.
- Supervise and maintain collection of statistical data and
reports as needed.
- Work with the Vice President to prepare annual departmental budgets.
- Oversee Commencement programs and
- Mandatory reporter.
Position Requirements, Experience and Education
Qualifications to perform this job successfully: An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The successful candidate must possess a user-centered attitude and
a desire to work in a team-oriented environment that serves a diverse population.
- An advanced degree from an accredited
four-year college or university, preferably in Higher Education, Student Affairs, Counseling, or a related field or equivalent
- Minimum of 5–7 years of progressively responsible experience in a senior leadership role within the student
affairs/services or related field.
- Strong leader with proven organizational abilities and able to work effectively in a fast-paced,
collaborative team setting.
- Demonstrated experience with diversity, equity and inclusion programs and issues.
- Understanding of college campus judicial procedures and policies.
- Thorough understanding of Title IX regulations.
be student-centered with a demonstrated commitment to providing leadership in a richly diverse and multicultural campus environment.
- Able to develop collaborative relationships with faculty and staff for the purpose of advocating for students with disabilities,
conveying decisions regarding accommodations provided, and explaining ADA compliance requirements in collaboration with other Student Life
- Familiarity and/or direct experience with best practices in student success programs, health and wellness issues, student
life policy and practice, and managing policy and procedures for student housing/residential life.
- Well-developed verbal, written,
and presentation communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in and a commitment to diversity, and the ability to establish and
maintain effective working relationships within LCAD’s diverse communities.
- Ability to manage interpersonal conflict
situations with tact, diplomacy and discretion.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty,
staff, other departments, students, and the public.
- Must be able to drive personal vehicle for business purposes and must pass DMV
background check and have minimum insurance requirements as set by LCAD.
Physical Essential Functions
Sitting, keyboarding, may lift up to 20 lbs. without assistance, grasping, pulling, pushing, reaching, and moving from one place to
another. This position takes place indoors in an office environment sitting at a desk and working in front of a computer. Occasional
bending, stooping, and squatting.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover
or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties,
responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Medical, Dental, and
Vision Healthcare Benefits, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick and Paid Holidays, Life Insurance/AD&D, Long Term
Disability, LCAD Tuition Benefit, among other benefits.
Full time position; salary commensurate with experience. Qualified applicants
are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.