Open executive Job in Academic & University Dean of Nursing – HigherEdJobs
professions institution in Omaha, Nebraska. The College provides educational experiences for the development of individuals in order that
they may positively influence the health and well-being of the community. The Dean of Nursing will provide leadership for all academic
programs within the Nursing Division building upon our core values of caring, excellence, holism, learning and respect.
Division of Nursing has contributed to the advancement of health care through its student-focused curriculum, hands-on learning, and
experienced faculty. The Division educates approximately 600 undergraduate (BSN), 125 graduate-level (MSN), and 70 doctoral level (DNP, EdD)
students annually. The baccalaureate, masters and doctoral nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
(CCNE). The baccalaureate nursing program has full approval by the Nebraska State Board of Nursing.
Reporting to the Vice
President of Academic Affairs, the Dean of Nursing serves as the chief academic and administrative officer of the Division of Nursing and is
responsible for providing energetic, visionary and empowering faculty in the division. The Dean should have a clear vision aligned with the
Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and will embrace our culture of holism and caring. The Dean will have experience with on ground
and online curriculum and understanding of both undergraduate and graduate curriculum.
The Dean will oversee the Division of
Nursing’s operations and the strategic allocation of resources to ensure the continued excellence of Nursing faculty and its programs. The
Dean is responsible for the development and articulation of the long-range strategic vision, efficient budgeting, faculty and staff
development, accreditation requirements, curricular quality, and program integrity. The Dean will also work closely with NMC executive
leadership in leading and engaging the Nursing Division.
This is an exceptional opportunity for a collaborative and dedicated leader
to work with students, faculty and staff. The Dean will continue to pursue excellence in nursing education through teaching and service with
a focus on continuously building upon the Nursing Division’s success to achieve high levels of excellence and prominence in the community.
Purpose of Job
The Dean of Nursing has responsibility for strategic planning, efficient
budgeting, faculty and staff relationships, faculty and staff development, accreditation requirements, curricular quality, curricular
efficiency, program integrity, and student satisfaction. The Dean is also expected to be a visionary in the dynamic world of health care
education, and innovative in delivering high quality education in the most efficient and convenient way possible for our students. As a
member of the senior management team, the Dean is expected to have collaborative working relationships with other senior leadership and to
work closely with the Vice President for Academic Affairs in facilitating the achievement of college-wide strategic initiatives.
As outlined by the Commission on Collegiate
Nursing Education, the Dean of Nursing will have the following education criteria:
- Doctoral Degree required.
- Graduate Degree in Nursing required.
- Registered Nurse (RN) required.
education administration experience required; five years or more preferred.
- Academically, and experientially qualified to
accomplish the mission, goals, and expected program outcomes.
- Experience in multiple course delivery systems preferred (online,
hybrid, mobile, traditional).
Current valid Nebraska Registered Nurse (RN) License,
valid compact multistate license to work in Nebraska required.
interpersonal and team skills.
- Ability to be timely with all assignments and communications.
- Ability to utilize critical
thinking skills to manage problems, determine best course of action, and effect change.
- Ability to manage work schedule/time,
priorities, and resources to achieve goals.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with coworkers, peers, students,
and community leaders/academicians.
- Ability to create, and support a work environment that embraces, and appreciates
- Ability to identify opportunities, and commit to the continuous improvement of programs, and educational services.
Light Work – Exerting up to 20 pounds of
Occasionally Performed (1%-33%):
- Distinguish colors
- Repetitive Motions
- Biological agents (primary air born and blood born viruses) (Jobs with Patient
- Physical hazards (noise, temperature, lighting, wet floors, outdoors, sharps) (more than ordinary office
- Explosives (pressurized gas)
- Electrical Shock/Static
Alpha, Beta and Gamma (particles such as X-ray, Cat Scan, Gamma Knife, etc)
- Radiation Non-Ionizing (Ultraviolet, visible light,
infrared and microwaves that causes injuries to tissue or thermal or photochemical means)
- Chemical agents
(Toxic, Corrosive, Flammable, Latex)
- Mechanical moving parts/vibrations
Essential Job Functions
- Provides leadership for the academic division through effective strategic planning. Makes decisions and allocates resources according to
the strategic plan.
- Ensures that the division strategic plan is synchronous with the overall strategic plan of the College.
- Effectively manages all budgets within the division, providing guidance to program directors to minimize loss and maximize revenue while
maintaining sensitivity to the quality of educational initiatives.
- Maximizes effective staffing resources following the workload
guidelines of the college for faculty and adjunct faculty while maintaining program quality.
- Oversees any and all accreditation for
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with Directors, faculty and adjunct faculty within the
division, fostering effective communication and encouraging a collaborative style of governance.
- Provides Directors with tools and
training to effectively empower personnel to perform their jobs.
- Develops and maintains an effective working relationship with the
other Academic Deans as well as the Dean ofStudents, working closely together to assure that student needs are being met, students are being
treated fairly, student satisfaction is high, and students are being held to the standards expected of an NMC graduate.
and maintains an effective working relationship with faculty of the college to ensure that shared governance, faculty integrity, core
curriculum integrity, and academic quality are all maintained.
- Maintains an effective collaborative relationship with the Vice
President for Academic Affairs, actively participates in the decision-making process for policies and procedures, and is supportive of the
strategic direction adopted by Academic Affairs.
- Works closely with College personnel to continually improve the curricular quality
of the courses offered in the division.
- Provides faculty with the resources and training needed to deliver the highest quality
- Provides structure to contribution reviews within the division, including constructive performance evaluations
and effective goal setting, while assuring alignment with the goals of the College.
- Manages change effectively.
- Communicates college-wide initiatives clearly and consistently to all personnel.
- Keeps the needs of students in mind as central
to all decisions, and delivers our nursing curriculum effectively.
- Maintains a working knowledge of advances in teaching and
learning, and works with faculty and staff to further teaching effectiveness within the Nursing division.
- Coordinates Nursing
efforts with pedagogical initiatives at the College level.
- Is active in the field of Nursing through scholarship and/or
- Is current with the issues and trends in nursing science, and works to align those current trends with teaching, learning
and faculty development.
- Develops relationships with key constituents within the community, develops strong collaborative
relationships, and acts as the face of NMC Nursing to other colleges, universities and health care organizations.
- Performs other
related duties as assigned by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal, and team skills.
- Is timely with all assignments and communications.
- Maintains a professional appearance appropriate for the position.
- Responds appropriately to constructive criticism.
- Is consistently collegial and collaborative with all constituents.
- Behaves consistent to college core values (Caring, Excellence, Holism, Learning and Respect).
- Actively pursues professional
- Delivers service to College and community.
- Serves effectively on assigned committees.
- Supports College
- Participates in required meetings and events (including graduation activities, honors night, College forum,
faculty development days) as appropriate to the position.
- Fulfills mandatory job requirements and maintains appropriate licensure
(e.g., AOR, Certifications, Health Screens, etc.).
Nebraska Methodist Health System is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by Federal, state or local law.
© Copyright 2017 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.