Open executive Job in Academic & University Dean, College of Arts & Sciences
NSU’s mission is to provide diverse academic, civic, social and cultural opportunities that prepare students through the liberal arts
and professional education for their future endeavors, while also enriching the local and regional community. Northern State University is
home to a nationally-recognized Honors Program, has completed construction of the new $24 million Jewett Regional Science Education Center,
and has recently gained provisional membership in the Council of Public Liberal Arts Colleges (COPLAC). The College of Arts and Sciences
offers undergraduate degrees in biology, chemistry, communication studies, criminal justice, English, environmental science, government,
history, mathematics, medical laboratory science, sociology, and Spanish, as well as a number of secondary education majors.
The successful candidate will possess:
- an earned doctorate in one of
the disciplines within the College of Arts and Sciences from an accredited university;
- a strong record of teaching and
- at least two years of successful administrative experience as a dean, associate dean, or chair, with budget and
- evidence of initiatives that enhance enrollment;
- demonstrated experience in collaborative work
across disciplines; and
- successful experience with program and curriculum development, assessment, and regional accreditation
The Dean will report to the Provost/Vice President for Academic
Affairs with the following responsibilities:
- Lead individuals and teams of faculty/staff within the College of Arts and
- Facilitate the achievement of student learning outcomes and faculty development.
- Lead efforts in student
recruitment and retention.
- Oversee assessment and accreditation processes.
- Coordinate College of Arts and Sciences
curriculum development and planning.
- Prepare and manage budget requests in support of the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Coordinate the recruitment, retention, and evaluation of faculty, department chairs, and staff.
- Actively engage in advocacy and
fundraising efforts for the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Supervise the overall administration of the College of Arts and
- Represent the College of Arts and Sciences at local, state, and national meetings.
Northern State University is committed to building a culture of inclusion, belonging and collegiality that respects diversity in
knowledge, culture and world view. We strongly encourage women and individuals bringing diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural perspectives to
Setting: Northern State University is a premier regional institution characterized by outstanding
instruction, extraordinary community relations, and excellent co-curricular opportunities. NSU is consistently ranked as one of the best
public undergraduate institutions in the Midwest by U.S. News and World Report. NSU is organized into the College of Arts and Sciences,
School of Fine Arts, and College of Professional Studies including the Millicent Atkins School of Education and the School of Business. NSU
is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, as well as multiple disciplinary accrediting bodies. NSU is located in Aberdeen,
South Dakota, a vibrant community in northeastern SD. The city has a population of approximately 30,000 and is a cultural, retail, banking,
agribusiness, and healthcare hub for the region. The University enjoys a positive and strong relationship with the city and region. With
more than $100 million invested over the last decade, Northern State University is experiencing transformative positive momentum. Recent new
buildings, renovations and projects under construction include significant updates to the Johnson Fine Arts Center and Barnett Athletics
Center, three new residence halls, the new Jewett Regional Science Education Center, and a new regional Sports Complex with athletic and
Application: Review of applications will begin October 30, 2020. Position is open until
filled with an anticipated June 22, 2021 start date. Applications should include a cover letter addressing the main qualifications,
curriculum vita, college transcripts (official transcripts required upon hiring), and contact information for three professional references.
All applicants are subject to a background check. For more information regarding this position and to apply, visit http://yourfuture.sdbor.edu. Click on “Northern State University” in the
Search Jobs tab. The system will guide you through the electronic application form. For questions related to the search, please contact Dr.
Ric Dias, Ric.Dias@northern.edu, Professor of History and search
committee chair. AA/EOE.
Northern State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.