Open executive Job in Academic & University Associate Vice President – HigherEdJobs
|Location:||Ferris State University – Big Rapids|
Salary Commensurate with Qualifications plus a comprehensive benefit package.
Number of Positions
Summary of Position:
vision, direction and leadership in the formulation of policy recommendations, procedures, systems and strategies to achieve optimal Human
Resources services to the University community. Direct and coordinate all Human Resources activities of the University including employment,
compensation, benefits, Staff Center for Training and Development, HRIS, and employee relations.
Initial Application Review Date:
Open Until Applicants are Selected, Selected for interview, or Position Filled:
Instructions to Applicants:
The University is being assisted by Academic Search, Inc. Applications should consist of a
substantive cover letter addressing the qualifications and desired attributes listed above, a curriculum vitae, and a list of at least five
professional references with full contact information and a note indicating the nature of your working relationship with each. References
will not be contacted without explicit permission from the candidate. Applications, nominations and expressions of interest can be submitted
in confidence to Ferris AVP HR.
The position will remain open until filled, but only applications received
by January 19, 2018 can be assured full consideration. Confidential discussions about this opportunity may be arranged by contacting Dr. Tessa
Martinez Pollack. Ferris State University will protect the confidentiality of applicants in accordance with state law. Candidates are
advised that finalists will be required to participate in a public selection process.
A Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Management, Labor Relations, Business Administration, Organizational Behavior, or
closely related field.
Required Work Experience:
Seven years of progressively responsible human
resources/labor relations supervisory and management experience in a complex organization which provides the knowledge to administer the
full range of services provided through Human Resources. Must have increasingly responsible experience in several of the following areas:
benefits, compensation, departmental budgeting, employment, employee relations, HR related laws, HR technology systems, labor relations,
policy review and development, and talent development and training.
Additional Education/Experiences to be
Experience in higher education, with at least five years of experience at or above the Director level. SPHR Certification.
- Oversee the administration of the wage
and salary programs and assure that the University’s compensation programs are competitive, equitable and consistent with University
- Advise and work in consultation with department managers and administrators regarding human resources policies,
programs and practices with appropriate communications to resolve human resources concerns.
- Provide overall direction of the
University’s recruitment and employment activities. Partner with hiring departments to recruit well-qualified and diverse talent in
- Engage in the exploration of new HR trends and practices.
- Proactively apprise the Vice President for
Administration and Finance about regulatory and compliance issues affecting higher education.
- Ensure compliance with University
Human Resources policies and appropriate governmental laws and regulations.
- Develop long term and short term goals for achieving
optimal Human Resources services to the University community.
- Administer responsibilities in accordance with University objectives,
government regulations, and labor contract terms.
- Oversee the administration of all Human Resources budgets and accounts.
- Direct the collection, compilation and maintenance of information necessary to carry out the functions of the Human Resource Office.
Prepare periodic reports as necessary or requested.
- Serve as the lead advisor to management representatives and employees on
employee relations and HR policy matters. These responsibilities may include advising, coaching, reviewing and/or investigating employee
relations matters across the University.
- Assist with labor contract negotiations and labor contract administration.
legislation, arbitration decisions, professional literature and collective bargaining contracts to assess industry trends and keep abreast
of new developments.
- Recommend Human Resources policies, policy revisions and practices.
- Assist the Vice President for
Administration and Finance with human resource related initiatives and special projects.
- Lead selected committees and task forces
as requested by the Vice President for Administration and Finance.
- Serve as a
member of appropriate University committees.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with University policies and applicable laws.
- Exercise general
supervision over all Human Resources programs and services and direct the activities of the Human Resources Office to promote and maintain a
high level of employee morale.
- Report directly to the Vice President for Administration and Finance and maintain the
confidentiality of designated information.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work
difficulty that will be required of this position. It is not intended to limit or in any way to modify the right of any supervisor to
assign, direct and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression of illustration describing
duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind of level or difficulty.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, confidentiality, and unwavering ethical values.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively handle conflict resolution and employee relations.
- Experience working with a unionized
- Knowledgeable in human resources information systems and proficiency with computer applications such as Microsoft
Office, database systems, etc.
- Must have demonstrated success in designing and implementing employment, benefits and compensation
processes and systems.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and interpersonal skills to effectively
interact with individuals at all levels in the University.
Ferris State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
© Copyright 2017 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.