Open executive Job in Academic & University Associate Dean and Chief Librarian
Job ID: 17735
of Staten Island
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
The Associate Dean and Chief Librarian reports directly to the Provost and Senior Vice
President for Academic Affairs and is a member of the Deans’ Council. S/he is responsible for administration and planning of all Library
operations. Responsibilities include strategic leadership for all functions of the Library, implementation of appropriate technologies;
assessment of Library programs, operations, and services; recruitment and supervision of faculty and staff, including support of their
professional development; development of policies and implementation of procedures to ensure the safety of the Library collections and
facilities; ultimate oversight of the College Archives and Special Collections; and preparation, submission, justification, and expenditures
of the Library budget. The Chief Librarian engages in outreach, marketing, and collaboration by participating on appropriate College-wide
committees and in local, regional, and professional organizations, and by representing the College at professional conferences.
The Library has twenty-nine professional staff, thirteen of whom are full-time faculty librarians. It also has thirty-six clerical support
staff, six of whom are full-time. The diversity of the staff greatly enhances the Library’s services to the CSI community. Total
expenditures for materials in fiscal 2016 was $717,800. Collections in support of the College’s instructional, curricular, and research
needs include 223,313 print books, 480,705 e-books, 99,079 online journals, and 165 online databases, among other materials. The CSI Library
is an active participant in the twenty-four CUNY campus library loan program. LIB 102, an elective one-credit library research course, is
taught by faculty librarians.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Grow and leverage Library
resources and collections that include demand-driven, evidence-based, and access-to-own models.
- Create, implement, and manage
assessment cycle for collections and services.
- Engage library faculty to further advance information literacy skills and critical
thinking across the student population.
- Support the development of services and programs promoting the use of open-access textbooks
and other open educational resources.
- Collaborate with IT on matters pertaining to infrastructure and networking that affect the
- Promote and market library services and resources to existing and potential users.
This position is in CUNY’s Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a
minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and eight years’ related experience.
The successful candidate will have:
- An ALA-accredited Master’s degree in library/information science and a second graduate degree.
- A record appropriate for a
tenured faculty appointment.
- A minimum five years of professional library work in an academic or research library.
record of successful leadership, management, and experience in strategic planning.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral
- A demonstrated ability to build collaborative relationships across the campus in support of Library
- Commitment to higher education in a multicultural setting and to an open administrative system with shared
- An earned doctorate from an accredited institution and a record
appropriate to a senior faculty appointment.
- At least three years of supervisory/management experience in an academic or research
- An understanding of trends in library technology, and their impact on instruction and research.
- A record of
active professional engagement at the regional, state, and national levels.
- Experience in fiscal affairs and in faculty and staff
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please visit
http://cuny.jobs/ and enter the Job ID# in the “What” section field.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information) as one
January 12, 2018; with the review of applications to begin on December 7,
© Copyright 2017 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.