Open Job in Academic & University Special Collections Assistant V – HigherEdJobs
Requisition # 2017-8150
Department Library-Collection Development
Date Posted 15 hours ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
The Marquand Library
of Art and Archaeology, whose vast collection embraces a wide range of print, digital, and media materials documenting the visual arts,
worldwide, including distinguished rare book holdings, seeks to hire a Special Collections Assistant Level V. The ideal candidate will be an
energetic, production- and service-oriented person for this full-time position, able to work normal business hours.
- Manage the workflow for digitization of Marquand materials and other rare, art-related materials
in the Princeton University Library
- Help maintain vault stacks and the secure reading room
- Prepare stacks, rare, and boxed
materials for transfer to offsite storage at ReCAP
- Manage patron requests for original photography and publication permissions for
The SCA-V also manages student workers doing higher-level processing and quality control work in support of
Digital Library projects, and liaises regularly with professionals across the Library, especially those in the Rare Books, Preservation,
Library IT, and Cataloging departments. This individual also staffs Marquand’s reference desk six to eight hours per week, and assists
individuals and classes with rare book collections following preservation and security protocols.
- Minimum two years of experience in an academic, research, or special library, or a public library with a research and/or
special collections component
- Knowledge of bibliographic conventions and experience searching online catalogs and research
- Experience with digital library projects, knowledge of metadata formats and conventions, and an aptitude for learning
complex specialized software used to process, organize, and describe digital documents
- Project management experience
- Experience with antiquarian library or archival collections
- Reading knowledge of one foreign language relevant to Marquand,
preferably a Romance or Germanic language
- Self-starter with the ability to prioritize, be highly productive, and do sustained and
accurate detail work at a computer
- Affinity for teamwork and leadership, and the ability to be flexible and resourceful in a
- Library public service experience and service orientation
- Excellent verbal and written
- Bachelor of Arts or higher degree strongly preferred
- College-level academic
work in the Humanities and knowledge of one of the visually-oriented disciplines such as art history, archaeology, or media studies
- Coursework in the digital humanities or digital libraries
- Knowledge of rare book cataloging standards
- Knowledge of
- Facility with Ex Libris’s Voyager cataloging modules, or equivalent
- Working knowledge of book preservation techniques
- Working knowledge of copyright law
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic
protected by law. EEO IS THE
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
LIB-Amer Fed State County Mun Emps
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and
extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
If you have questions or comments regarding the iCIMS Privacy
Policy or iCIMS FAQs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go to our careers site.
Princeton University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
© Copyright 2017 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.