Open Job in Academic & University Senior Advancement Writer – HigherEdJobs
Strategic Engagement & Advancement Communications
Provides high-quality writing and editing for a variety of communications to strengthen relationships
with donors and alumni, build awareness of the impact of philanthropy, and maximize giving to Geisel School of Medicine and
Skills & Knowledge
- Outstanding writing and editing skills for print and digital
media, including both short- and long-form content.
- Excellent interviewing skills.
- General knowledge of and interest in
medical, scientific, or health care subjects, and a demonstrated ability to communicate complex medical and scientific subjects to lay
- Familiarity with fundraising communications tactics.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Skilled at adapting to shifting priorities, managing multiple concurrent projects, and meeting deadlines with a minimum of supervision.
- Proven ability to participate in collaborative teams.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Creativity and
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and good judgment.
- Commitment to a diverse working
environment and to serving the needs of a large and diverse community.
- Five years of
related professional writing experience.
- Experience in a fundraising and/or medical environment.
- Experience working in a
large and complex institution preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Full Time
Department Contact for Cover Letter
Katharine R. Villars, Director of Strategic Engagement and Advancement
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong
commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications
by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment in this
position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal
background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or
certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from
employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal
Writing and Editing
- Researches, writes, and edits content for a variety of Geisel and Dartmouth-Hitchcock print
and digital communications, with a strong focus on engaging storytelling that informs, motivates, and stewards development constituencies
and highlights the impact of philanthropy in advancing patient care, research, medical education, and community health.
information for stories through interviews with subjects and sources, including donors, alumni, students, patients, faculty, and
- Effectively translates medical and scientific concepts for lay readers.
- Assists in the researching and writing of
proposals and fundraising marketing material.
- Drafts content for event collateral as needed.
- Monitors leadership
messaging, institutional news and stories, and stays abreast of institutional initiatives.
- Writes in accordance with institutional
messaging, tone, and style.
- Edits and proofs the work of others as needed.
Planning and Project
- Works proactively with frontline staff and directors to identify potential philanthropy stories; develops
sources of information by establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with key faculty members and staff across Geisel and
Dartmouth-Hitchcock, as appropriate.
- Collaborates with communications colleagues across Geisel and Dartmouth-Hitchcock to share
information, place stories in institutional communications channels, and raise the visibility of philanthropy to internal and external
- Proactively identifies communications needs and opportunities to further Geisel and Dartmouth-Hitchcock advancement
- Collaborates with Communications Team colleagues in shaping effective and compelling communications, bringing a creative,
critical, and strategic approach to planning sessions.
- Manages multiple concurrent projects to meet deadlines.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
© Copyright 2017 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.