Open Job in Academic & University Educational Advisor – (BC/Delano/Adult Education Block Grant) (COF)
Kern Community College District
Position Number: 02206
Posting Date: 09/15/2017
Initial Screening Date: 10/02/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Classified
Work Week: 40 hours per week, 12 month position
Minimum Salary: $4,727.69 per month
Maximum Salary: $6,680.11 per month (maximum entry $4,727.69 per month)
Our competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; life insurance coverage;
long-term disability insurance, and an employee assistance program (EAP).
In addition, employees have
the option to purchase:
- Flex 125
- AFLAC Policy
- Supplemental voluntary life
- 403b Tax Shelter Annuity
All coverages begin on the first day of the month following the hire date.
Employees are covered under the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) and are vested 100% after five years of full time
College/Site: Bakersfield College
Location: BC-Delano Center
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, serve as a paraprofessional counselor advising students
in areas related to academic careers including certificate, graduation, transfer and major requirements; advise students on various careers
and on the requirements necessary for achieving career goals.
- Serve as a paraprofessional counselor advising students in areas related to academic careers;
assist students with establishing academic goals and selecting courses to meet their goals; utilize test scores to discuss appropriate class
levels; communicate with students in person, on the telephone and online.
- Provide initial assessment of transcripts from other
institutions; receive and forward transcripts to admissions and records office.
- Provide guidance relating to complaint and
- Refer students in need of special services or outside counseling or testing services.
students with career searches; provide referrals to various print and computerized resources.
- Assist students with completion of
various forms necessary to meet educational goals.
- Make appropriate changes in student database based on counseling appointments
and student contact.
- Advise students on a variety of student services programs covering the overall matriculation process for
students attending classes at a District site; refer students as necessary to specialists; maintain
caseload of new and continuing
- Participate in community outreach programs.
- Assist students in achieving transfer goals including completion of
university applications and utilizing various resources to acquire information regarding university requirements; maintain current knowledge
of university systems as well as independent colleges.
- Score various personality and interest inventory tests for campus counselors
and instructors; assure current career counseling testing software is installed.
- Update various handouts and forms as
- Provide advising support for assigned programs such as health career, EOP&S, financial aid
and others as assigned by the position.
- Participate in various graduation preparation activities; request formal graduation
evaluation and review evaluations with students; assure completion of appropriate graduation forms.
- Maintain budgets for assigned
activities at a site as assigned.
- Make presentation to students, faculty and community; participate in conferences and off-campus
meetings related to assigned areas.
- Conduct career center, EOP&S or other orientations for new and
continuing students as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
combination equivalent to: Bachelors degree and one year experience in a student services or related function.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California drivers license.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United
States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the
number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- College policies, procedures and
- Program and degree requirements.
- Laws, rules and regulations related to assigned activities.
- Operation of a computer and assigned software.
- Distance education modalities.
- Career and
personality tests available to students as a resource tool.
- Interpersonal skills including tact patience and courtesy.
- Record-keeping techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Counseling/advising techniques.
- Serve as a paraprofessional counselor advising students in areas related to
academic careers including certificate, graduation, transfer and major requirements.
- Advise students on various careers and advise
students on the requirements necessary for achieving career goals.
- Interpret and explain college policies and procedures to
students, faculty and the community.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Operate a computer and other office equipment.
- Prepare and maintain records and
- Proctor and score a variety of tests.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
independently with little direction.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
Salary Grade: 46.5
Special Instructions to Applicants:
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets
will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on October 2, 2017 are assured
consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
Completed Online Application for Employment form
Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
List of six (6) professional references Listed
on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human
Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
Recruitment Status (tentative):
Application Screening: TBD
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to
work in the United States. Work authorization should be established at the time of application submission.
All applicants must apply online at https://careers.kccd.edu/postings/9516. Emails will not be accepted.
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to
© Copyright 2017 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.