Open Job in Academic & University Director, Dartmouth College Wind Ensemble & Director, Dartmouth College Marching Band
Hopkins Center for the Arts
Hiring Range Minimum
Hiring Range Maximum
To provide artistic, musical and administrative leadership for the Dartmouth College Wind Ensemble
(DCWE) and the Dartmouth College Marching Band (DCMB). Recruits and auditions performers for the DCWE. Plans and conducts rehearsals and
performances. Provides oversight of DCMB operations. Responsible for associated administrative duties with both ensembles. Ensemble
directors additionally receive a part-time appointment as Lecturer in the Department of Music to teach Music 59 “Ensemble Performance and
Leadership”, for ensemble students seeking academic credit. (Additional FTE status and compensation for this appointment determined by
enrollment, separate contract issued by the office of the Dean of Faculty.)
- At least five
years of relevant experience in conducting and administering wind ensembles and/or; or the equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in Music or
a related field.
- Ensemble conducting and instrumental performance proficiency.
- Proven ability to recruit and foster
commitment from student performers and guest artists.
- Ability to establish long-term artistic vision for an instrumental
- Must be a strong advocate for diversity with proven ability to work with a diverse population having different levels of
arts knowledge and experience.
- Master’s degree in Music or the equivalent in
education and experience is strongly preferred.
Not an SEIU Position
Regular Part Time
Department Contact for Cover Letter
Joshua Kol, Managing Director/Executive Producer
Equal Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment
to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of
all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment in this position is
contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check,
reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with
results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background
check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Director, Dartmouth College Wind Ensemble
Program Planning/Administration 40%
* Programs, plans, organizes and conducts one major concert of works from the wind ensemble repertoire during fall, winter, and spring
* Plans, schedules, organizes, and conducts ensemble auditions, rehearsals and sectionals. Structures rehearsals to address recognized
individual, section, and full ensemble needs, while simultaneously achieving preparedness for performers on schedule.
* Annually conceives of and designs programs taking into consideration such factors as competence and interests of available student
talent, challenge to student performers, faculty interest and suggestions, audience appeal, and budgetary constraints.
* Determines instrument and player requirements. Assigns roles, selects soloists and organizes sections.
* Hires appropriate guest artists as needed. Negotiates fees, music to be performed, logistical considerations, supplemental activities
such as master classes etc.
* Hires specialized performers or instructors when necessary.
* Coordinates advertising and publicity for the ensemble with appropriate Hopkins Center offices. Originates informational materials such
* Coordinates with Hopkins Center staff to ensure that rehearsals and performances are organized in accordance with Center directives and
* Advises the Music Department and the Hopkins Center staff on needs relative to instrument maintenance, repair, and replacement.
* At least once every four years, as funding is available, schedules, plans, organizes, implements and leads ensemble tours.
* Leads the Dartmouth Youth Winds Ensemble during winter term. Open to students of the Upper Valley and surrounding regions, grades 6-8,
this program offers students the chance to attend weekly rehearsals and to learn side-by-side with Dartmouth student musicians.
Student Recruitment and Instruction 20%
* Regularly recruits students to join the ensemble. Auditions and/or interviews applicants.
* Matches applicants to available openings and makes the final selections.
* Instructs students in proper technique.
* Works with faculty instrumental instructors in coaching student players in both style and technique. Collaborates with other ensemble
directors and faculty (in music and across the institution) in mentoring student musicians.
* Oversees student managers in accomplishing activities supporting rehearsal and performances.
* Fosters a sense of community within the ensemble and across the music-making contingent at the College.
* Monitors and remains within the constraints of the ensemble financial budget.
* Collaborates with appropriate Center directors on how funds are to be expended.
* Justifies and obtains approval for payment of guest artist fees from supervisor.
* As approved by the Hopkins Center Director, may seek out funding sources to support ensemble activities, i.e. endowments. As funding and
interest allow, may produce and sell recordings of ensemble performances.
Director, Dartmouth College Marching Band 25%
* Supervises student managers in the planning and organization of rehearsals and performances by the full marching band during fall term at
all home and usually 1-2 away football games and for major special events such as Orientation, Homecoming, and other smaller scale on- and
* Approves student-written scripts for half-time performances during football games.
* As needed, works with Hopkins Center Ensembles Assistant and student managers to arrange transportation, meals and lodging for all away
games, books rehearsal space, and organizes collateral performances at alumni events.
* Monitors and remains within the constraints of the marching band budgets. Collaborates with appropriate Center directors on how funds are
to be expended.
Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions,
and communications with others.
Performs other duties as assigned
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
© Copyright 2018 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.