Open Job in Academic & University Business Advisor, SBDC 499082 – HigherEdJobs
Position Type: Staff
Department: Small Business Development Center
The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) small
business advisor provides individual business consulting services to SBDC clients who are involved in, or want to
start, small businesses in Southeast Texas. The small business advisor serves as a comprehensive business management resource for business
related information about standard business operations and practices, and general information about government regulations for businesses.
The small business advisor may represent the SBDC at trade shows and business expositions, and sometimes provides
group training sessions (workshops and seminars) on business topics for clients and the general public.
Job Duties &
I. Business Consulting Services
- Provides one-on-one business consulting for SBDC clients at the SBDC and SBDC outreach locations.
- Reviews financial statements and reports for clients.
- Assists clients with business planning, budgeting, financing, marketing,
management, accounting, sales, etc.
- Acts as a ready source of business related information.
- Presents seminars and
workshops on various business topics for small business clients and the general public as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the
II. Administrative Responsibilities
- Prepares new client follow-up letters on a
timely basis summarizing the issues discussed and recommended course of action to be taken.
- Maintains current and complete client
records on consulting sessions using the Center IC client management system.
- Keeps accurate records of time, expenses, and
- Assists the SBDC Director as required.
- Attends, distributes literature, answers questions, and solicits new clients at public events such as trade shows and
- Participates on committees advocating small business interests in Southeast Texas.
- Serves as an
advocate to improve the economic climate for small businesses in Southeast Texas.
- Represents the SBDC in
community activities as assigned by the SBDC Director.
IV. Professional Development
all scheduled SBDC staff meetings and special designated UH-SBDC Lead Center training
- Keeps informed on business trends and news; maintains up-to-date knowledge of current developments in government
regulatory agencies and financial institutions.
- Attends workshops, seminars and training classes to enhance skills and improve
delivery of services.
Bachelors degree in Business. Long term successful business
operation experience will be considered in meeting advanced educational requirement. Minimum of eight years broad based business experience
in business management. Computer literate with working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and other commonly used business programs.
Ability to communicate technical information effectively. Must be able to drive a car and hold a valid drivers license.
Knowledge, Skills, Ability Required:
- Significant knowledge of business management and broad-based business
experience including accounting, planning, budgeting and forecasting, marketing, finance, human resources management, and business
- Ability to interact effectively and positively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to assess a
companys strengths and weaknesses and articulate recommendations for improvement strategies.
- Ability to process complex information
for decision making and problem solving.
- Ability to collaborate with other consultants and personnel within the SBDC network.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas SB 805, Section 657.003.
Security Sensitive Statement:
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas
Education Code 51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.
Posting Date: 10/04/2017
Open Until Filled: No
To apply, visit https://jobs.lamar.edu/.
Lamar University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Lamar University not to discriminate on the
basis of non-relevant criteria including, but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression,
national origin, age, disability, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities, admissions or employment practices.
Lamar University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants receive equal consideration in the selection process.
© Copyright 2017 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.