Open Job in Academic & University Athletic Success Coach and Academic Advisor
Xavier University is seeking qualified candidates for a full-time hourly position as an Athletic Success
Coach and Academic Advisor in the Student-Athlete Academic Support Services office. The successful candidate will join a collaborative,
student-centered team dedicated to the holistic support of student-athletes in an inclusive and diverse environment. The position provides
success coaching and academic advising to the teams of women’s soccer, women’s golf, men’s and women’s tennis, and
men’s and women’s cross country and track & field. The individual in this position oversees the student-athlete Study Table
Program and is responsible for tracking and overseeing all award nominations (i.e. NCAA, Big East, Xavier) in addition to all community
service. Additionally, this position may assist with the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), the XSPY’s awards banquet, and the
first year class for student-athletes. The position will report to the Assistant Director of Student-Athlete Academic Support Services.
This position includes the following responsibilities:
- Advises and supports undergraduate student-athletes
in areas of course selection, registration, graduation and NCAA academic eligibility requirements;
- Serves as primary success coach
to a caseload of student athletes and meets regularly with student athletes and all first-year students to monitor academic
- Communicates with faculty members, coaches, and student-athletes regarding academic progress and NCAA academic
- Offers mentoring and success coaching to student-athletes on a regular basis on issues related to
transitioning into college, navigating personal and interpersonal issues, personal development, and career exploration;
- Meets with
prospective student athletes and families during official visits;
- Maintains regular contact and coordinates tutoring services for
at-risk student-athletes on these teams;
- Develops a firm knowledge of campus support offices and refers student-athletes to
appropriate campus resources, e.g. Bursar, Registrar, Career Development, Health and Wellness, Financial Aid, Disability Services, etc.
- Understands curriculum, policies, procedures, campus and community resources and shares information with students, as needed;
- Understands and is able to implement retention/persistence strategies for the designated student-athlete caseload;
- Serves as an
advocate for student-athletes;
- Motivates students to make informed decisions that positively influence academic, personal, and
professional development around topics such as time management, organization, career planning, test taking, study strategies, motivation,
procrastination, and goal setting;
- Encourages students to form a connection to the campus that is consistent with their
interests, goals, and development;
- Oversees the student-athlete Study Table Program including hiring and training of study table
monitors, maintaining records of student table attendance, and communicating with athletic advisors, coaches, and student-athletes;
- Tracks community service completed by the student-athletes
- Coordinates all scholarship and award nominations from NCAA, Big
East, Xavier University, and any other relevant awards;
- Assists in coordinating, organizing and implementing the XSPY’s award
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- One to three years of relevant experience, preferable in NCAA Division I college athletics
- Strong analytical
skills to be applied in problem solving and decision making situations
- Effective use of technology including Banner, Degree Works,
Student Success Collaborative (EAB), in every day work with student-athletes
- Organizational and planning skills to
ensure that processes and procedures are implemented in accordance with established timelines
- Proficiency in utilizing technology
to manage communication, record keeping, planning, and oversight responsibilities.
- The position requires knowledge of NCAA rules
and regulations, specifically with academics
- Effective communication with internal and external audiences and excellent written and
verbal communication with various constituents.
- Commitment to supporting of students from diverse background
Preferred Experience Required: 1-3 years professional experience in NCAA Division I college athletic academic
Master’s degree highly preferred in Student Affairs, Higher Education, Athletic Administration, Counseling,
or related field.
Projected Annual Salary: $32,000-$34,000 (paid at an hourly rate for 37.5 hours per week)
To ensure consideration, interested and qualified candidates must submit a resume, cover letter, and the names and telephone numbers of
three professional references on Xavier University’s website no later than November 27, 2017.
UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Cincinnati, Ohio, United
© Copyright 2017 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.