Free open Job in Wales Research Scientist (Biological control) at Bionema Limited
to £35,000 per annum depending on qualifications and experience
|Placed on:||11th May 2017|
|Closes:||10th June 2017|
Bionema Limited is looking for an experience Research Scientist (Biological Control) to work on the development of biocontrol agents for the control of agricultural, horticultural and forest insect pests. The successful candidate will play an active role in the life of the Bionema R&D and commercialisation programme. The post-holder must have completed a Master’s degree in bioscience/agricultural science/PhD in Agriculture/applied entomology or a related field. Candidate needs to have significant experience in biocontrol industry and commercial biopesticide formulation. There is an expectation that the candidate has fieldwork experience (GEP/EPPO) and will be able to undertake fieldwork for periods of time. In addition to an excellent salary the benefits that come with this job include a defined benefits pension scheme, annual leave and excellent training and development opportunities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development and implementation of a research programme focused on the development of biocontrol of pests and diseases in agriculture, horticulture, and forestry sectors.
- Develop formulation and integrate with existing Integrated Pest Management (IPM) systems.
- Use of molecular tools to identify microbial species (i.e., nematode, bacteria, fungus).
- Investigate the role of IPM in different cropping systems.
- Design and manage experiments, perform statistical analysis and interpret and publish results in scientific and popular press, technical reports, at conferences and to stakeholders.
- Actively pursue external funding opportunities with the objective of developing critical mass in the area, by building a dynamic team of post-doctoral researchers and post-graduate students.
- Develop and maintain active collaborative contacts with other national and international scientists, research groups and institutions.
- Supervise and mentor graduate, postgraduate students, Internship, visitors through the Bionema collaboration with national and international universities.
- Carry out such other duties as may be assigned by the Chief Scientific Officer from time to time.
- Use of cutting edge microbial control agents and molecular biology techniques.
- Development of microbial control agents.
- The role of biocontrol agents for control pest and disease.
- Assist in project management to ensure successful delivery of all outputs.
- Production, formulation and application of biocontrol agents.
- Maintenance of insect culture for laboratory and field experiments.
- Conduct bioassays using biocontrol agents in laboratory and glasshouse.
- Conducting efficacy trials for product development according to GEP/EPPO guidelines.
- Wider knowledge of the role of biocontrol agents for pest and disease control.
- Understanding of biocontrol agents and their use in agriculture, horticulture and forestry sectors.
- Use of microbial indicators for product quality assessment.
- Experience in enzyme assays, respiration methods, PLFAs.
- Bioinformatics and advanced statistical techniques.
- Relevant Industry experience.
- Nanotechnology and their use in crop protection
Company offer annual leave + bank and public holidays. Pension scheme to which the company contributes. Excellent continual professional development opportunities, both internal and external, as a part of our training commitment. Bionema is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment.
Candidate should proof their eligibility to work in the UK and Flexibility – overnight stays will be required on occasion.
To apply for these positions, please send your CV, completed Application Form and Covering Letter to Meraj Syeda (by email firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Friday at 12:00 each week for review.
Closing date for application will be 10 June 2017
Informal enquiries should be emailed to: Dr Minshad A. Ansari email@example.com
For more information visit our website – http://bionema.com/career-opportunities/
Share this job
If you have a comment to make about the overall quality of this advert,
or its categorisation then please
send us your feedback