Free open Job in Wales Development of an automated image analysis platform for digital breast tomosynthesis (DBT) to increase efficiency in the screening process at Swansea University
Swansea University – Business Management (Medical Imaging)
|Funding for:||UK Students, EU Students|
|Placed on:||6th December 2017|
|Closes:||2nd March 2018|
*This scholarships is part funded by the Welsh Government’s European Social Fund (ESF) convergence programme for West Wales and the Valleys.*
PhD Scholarship for in the field of: Medical imaging and analytics
Start date: April 2018
Brief Summary of project:
The aim of this PhD studentship is to develop and evaluate deep learning algorithms and a software solution to rapidly compare DBT images for a patient from different screening time points. The project will include novel research supporting the development of the analytics system and software product development in a partnership between Topia Systems Ltd, Swansea University and Hywel Dda University Health Board.
The major objectives for the studentship are to:
- Develop ‘deep learning’ methods to register DBT images identify features, perform temporal image comparison.
- Carry out a retrospective study to evaluate algorithms on temporal mammograms.
- Carry out a prospective study to determine sensitivity/specificity to detect tissue change and evaluate image reading times on select patient cohort.
- Assist software development (Topia Systems Ltd).
- DBT image analysis algorithms suite
- Clinical software product
- Publishable retrospective and prospective studies of algorithm evaluation
- Acquired image analysis and development skills for PhD student
- The achievement of a postgraduate skills development award, PSDA, is compulsory for each KESS II scholar and is based on a 60 credit award
Candidates should have a 2.1 or above in their undergraduate degree or equivalent typically with computer programming experience.
Candidates should also be eligible for UK/EU Fees.
Additional Funding Information
The studentship covers the full cost of UK/EU tuition fees, plus a stipend. The bursary will be limited to a maximum of £14,340 p.a. dependent upon the applicant’s financial circumstances.
There will also be additional funds available for research expenses.
Share this PhD
If you have a comment to make about the overall quality of this advert,
or its categorisation then please
send us your feedback