Free open Job in Wales Bioinformatician at Public Health Wales
Public Health Wales
to £41,787 per annum (Band 7)
|Placed on:||2nd November 2017|
|Closes:||15th November 2017|
Based in UHW – Microbiology Lab
Contact Sally Corden email@example.com or 029 2074 5226 for an informal discussion/visit
Public Health Wales NHS Trust, Cardiff Microbiology, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff
Public Health Wales Microbiology Cardiff is situated within the University Hospital of Wales and Llandough Hospital and is one of the largest Microbiology Laboratories in Wales, providing a wide range of diagnostic services to hospitals, clinics and general practitioners of South Glamorgan and throughout Wales.
The role will be managerially accountability to the Laboratory Director via Laboratory Manager and will report to the Head of the Pathogen Genomics Unit.
The post holder will be responsible for their own area of work, technical training in bioinformatic methods and the supervision of visiting scientists.
- Help develop assays de novo and undertake routine and specialist bioinformatic analyses, interpretation and reporting in the Pathogen Genomics Unit
- Characterisation of microbial isolates and infection processes using bioinformatic tools, leading towards reduction in the burden of disease and improved patient outcomes.
- Report findings to workstream leads
- Assist the Unit management team in obtaining further funding for research and development
To assist in the provision of a Pathogen Genomics Service by developing advanced bioinformatics and monitoring routine bioinformatic processes for interpretative tests, and undertake research projects to ensure efficient and effective completion and reporting. To work with the Unit management team in the roll-out of bioinformatic methods for pathogen genomic tests within the Unit. To ensure that the department meets or exceeds locally and national agreed service standards.
- To be competent in the assessing the performance and interpretation of bioinformatic processes and investigations undertaken in accordance with laboratory policies and protocols.
- To collaborate with the Unit Head to maintain a Bioinformatics Quality Management System in compliance with external accredited regulatory bodies.
- To maintain high professional standards by continual professional development keeping up to date with advances in pathogen genomics and NGS technology.
- To maintain a safe environment and to ensure that procedures and competencies are compliant with relevant policies.
- To assist in the development of internal bioinformatic QC schemes.
- Candidates must have an Honours degree in Medical Microbiology or Molecular Biology or similar
- Post graduate qualification (eg. MSc) in a relevant subject or equivalent experience
- Evidence of software development to analyse DNA sequence data
- Evidence of participation in project based research work
- Evidence of publication of own work in peer-reviewed scientific literature
- Application of diverse bioinformatics tools using the UNIX command line
- Experience in the analysis of large molecular datasets (incl. high throughput sequencing data)
- Experience developing software using at least one of C/C++, Perl, Python or Java
- Familiarity with systems for versioning software (ideally git)
Good manual and mental dexterity and hand/eye coordination
Understands, can perform and teach others principles and relevant aspects of bioinformatics
Use of bioinformatics software which includes programming (eg. C++) and / or script writing (eg. Python, Perl)
Accessing and analysis of DNA sequence data and the ability to analyse very complex issues where material is conflicting and drawn from multiple sources
Excellent IT skills and the ability to manipulate databases, word processors and spreadsheets
Share this job
If you have a comment to make about the overall quality of this advert,
or its categorisation then please
send us your feedback