Job offer available in Scotland Technician – Marine at Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University – School of Energy, Geoscience, Infrastructure and Society
|Placed on:||22nd September 2017|
|Closes:||5th October 2017|
The successful candidate will support the Marine Biology teaching laboratories, as well as the aquarium and associated facilities of the John Muir Building, within the Institute of Life and Earth Sciences. This will involve ensuring the effective running of the aquarium facilities on a day-to-day basis; managing stocks of consumables and equipment items; setting up, adjusting, calibrating, cleaning, maintaining and troubleshooting laboratory equipment; ordering equipment and consumables, as necessary, including new teaching supplies; contacting suppliers for detailed specifications; obtaining quotations for equipment or services, pricing, and on-site demonstrations; maintaining records of expenditure; ensuring that health and safety practices in the laboratories and aquaria are complied with and keeping the risk assessments and COSHH information up to date.
The key duties and responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the effective running of the aquarium facilities on a day-to-day basis
- Setting up, adjusting, calibrating, cleaning, maintaining and troubleshooting laboratory equipmentmables and equipment items
- Ordering equipment and consumables, including new teaching supplies
- Contacting suppliers for detailed specifications, obtaining quotations for equipment or services, pricing and on-site demonstration
- Maintaining records of expenditure
- Managing stocks of consumables and equipment items
- Ensuring that health and safety practices in the laboratories and aquaria are complied with and keeping risk assessments and COSHH information up to date
- Working in partnership with the ILES Technical Services Manager, academic and research staff and students, to identify issues, trends and problems.
- Establishing strong working relationships to understand and manage the user demand and requirements, ensuring that the requirements of each of the research groups are understood, assessed and prioritised.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of migrant workers. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
For application details and further information please go to: www.hw.ac.uk/apply-jobs
Share this job
If you have a comment to make about the overall quality of this advert,
or its categorisation then please
send us your feedback