Job offer available in Scotland Scientific Computing Officer at University of Dundee
The School of Science and Engineering has an international reputation for excellent teaching and topical research, particularly in addressing global challenges in energy, the environment, health care, technology, forensic science and infrastructure.
With its award winning Centre for Anatomy and Human Identification (CAHID), and departments in engineering, computing, physics and mathematics, the School offers a portfolio of disciplines and curriculums and state of the art facilities which prepare and inform the scientists and engineers of tomorrow. The School is run by an enthusiastic, committed and approachable team of experts who are recognised for their teaching approaches. It is also one of the fastest growing schools within the University.
We are recruiting for an exceptional individual to join us as a G7 Scientific Computing Officer within the School of Science and Engineering to provide specialised scientific and engineering support in teaching and research activities.
Working with Associate Deans, Discipline, Programme and Research Leads, the post holder will quickly gain a full understanding of the IT infrastructure, technologies used, Discipline specific IT requirements and provide a vital link between the School and UoD-IT Services to ensure that the School’s central and localised IT requirements are met.
Our strengths in research and teaching have led to the University being named as one of the UK’s top 30 universities in the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019, consistently achieving a top 10 place in the UK for student experience (National Student Survey 2018) and awarded Gold – the highest possible rating – in Teaching Excellence (UK Teaching Excellence Framework).
Your priorities will include:
- Provide agile support for scientific hardware and software to meet specialist scientific computing needs in SSEN
- Support learning and teaching in areas of specialised scientific and engineering computing
- Create appropriate technical documentation
- In conjunction with UoD-IT, own, develop, implement and monitor effective and appropriate policies, procedures and controls including Incident Management, Service Requests and Asset Management
- Build strong, constructive relationships with service users (staff and students), key stakeholders (Discipline Leads, School Executive) and UoD-IT Management and Business Partners
Who we’re looking for:
- University degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related qualification
- Experience with administering computer servers
- Experience with providing user support to students and staff for high performance and scientific computing
- Experience with providing support to students and staff in software/code development and optimisation (e.g. parallelisation). Experience in scientific hardware specification, configuration and support
For further information about this position please contact the School Managers: Kathleen Fotheringham (email@example.com) / Dianne Peden (firstname.lastname@example.org). To find out more about please visit: www.dundee.ac.uk/scienceengineering
Closing date: 31 March 2019
The diversity of our staff and students helps to make the University of Dundee one of the top universities in the UK. Family friendly policies, staff support networks for BME and LGBT staff, membership of Athena SWAN and Stonewall, as well a full range of disability services, create an enjoyable and inclusive place to work.