Job offer available in Scotland Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) Funded Studentships – University of Dundee
We have Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) funded studentships in the following areas of research excellence:
- English: Literature, Intermediality and Visual Culture; Book History and Print Culture; Comics and Film Studies; Creative Cultures; Theatre Studies.
- History: Global History; Scottish History (particularly seventeenth and eighteenth century political history, nineteenth century social history, migration history and environmental history); European History; American History; Atlantic History; Eighteenth Century History; History of Empire; Gender History.
- Law: International Law and Governance; Multi-level Governance; Environmental Law and Sustainable Development; Criminal Law and Justice; Corporate Law and Corporate Governance; International Family Law.
- DJCAD: Digital Economy, Futures & Culture
Exploring future technologies and user interactions through critical design Software and product design, Assistive technologies, Serious Games, Visual Effects for Film & TV, Future Practices in Design & Craft, Sustainable Design, Environmental solutions.
Visualisation & the Application of Visual Thinking
Visualisation & Simulation, Mediating technology, information design, Applying design thinking, Public engagement, Identity cultural & sense of place, Design in Public, Policy, Society, Business-Service Design, Design in new contexts (health etc) Exploring the economic / social impact of new practices
Art, Media, and Visual Studies
Histories & Archives, Curation as practice, Theoretical studies, Visual Studies, Art & Philosophy, Aesthetics, Word & Image, Artists’ practice-led research.
The University of Dundee is a member of the Scottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities (SGSAH) and through the AHRC Doctoral Training Partnership collaborates with seven leading Scottish universities to offer world-class doctoral training.
The 2018 competition for AHRC-funded studentships are now open
Deadline for applications
30th November 2017- Deadline for applications
Notification of nomination
January 2018 (exact date to be confirmed)
Successful applicants will benefit from:
*Fees and stipend at RCUK rates – £14,057 in 2015
Significant extra time and/or funding to shape their doctoral training to meet their individual needs.
Personal and professional development programme which focuses on complementing and adding value to the training already on offer at the University of Dundee.
AHRC-funded students will have access to the rich resources available in all Scottish HEIs as well as unique training opportunities developed in partnership with SGSAH’s prestigious and internationally-renowned supporter organisations. These include the National Museum of Scotland, the National Library of Scotland, the National Theatre of Scotland, the National Galleries of Scotland, BBC Scotland, Scottish Opera, the Royal Scottish National Orchestra and the Royal Scottish Chamber Orchestra, the Edinburgh International Book and Film Festivals, the Scottish Sculpture Workshop and a diverse range of local and regional arts, culture and heritage organisations. They have committed to support students in a variety of ways including exclusive access to training events, mentoring, talks, visits and funded placements and internships. 2015 saw the launch of SGSAH’s new Internship programme, which includes an Artist-in-Residence element: students continue to receive stipends and can have their funded period extended to accommodate placements or residencies funded through the programme.
*Residency eligibility criteria apply. Full details available on the SGSAH website.
How to Apply and Related Information
What is the value of the studentship?
This will be at the annually published Research Council UK rates and will include tuition fees at the Home/EU rate, plus an annual stipend for Home students only (£14,057 in 2015).
- Only Home and EU students are eligible to apply.
- In order to be nominated for a studentship, applicants must hold an unconditional or conditional offer of a place on a PhD degree programme in one of a specified range of disciplines above. The SGSAH encourages and welcomes cross-institutional supervisory teams.
- Applicants must not hold another full Studentship for the 2017/18 academic session. Applicants holding a part studentship (e.g. fees only or stipend only) may still be considered.
- Both new and continuing PhD students may apply. To be eligible, continuing students must have at least 50% of their 3 year full-time or 6 year part-time PhD programme remaining as at 30 September 2017, and funding will only be available for this remaining period.
- The AHRC expects that applicants to PhD programmes will normally hold, or be studying towards, a Masters qualification.
- You apply to the University of Dundee via UKPASS (detailed below)
- We will send you a second application form to complete by January 2017
- We will make two decisions
1 – whether or not to offer you a PhD place to study at the University of Dundee
2 – whether or not to nominate you for an AHRC studentship (by January 2017)
- If you have been successful in being nominated you will be sent a third application form from the AHRC Doctorial Programme Scotland, which needs to be returned by February 2017
- The panel will meet to consider all nominations from across Scottish institutions and you will be notified if you have been awarded a studentship. Further information on the selection process can be found on the SGSAH website
- If we do not nominate you for a studentship, your offer of a PhD place at the University of Dundee still stands.
Students who are currently on a PhD course and are eligible to apply (see above) should register their interest by emailing d.y.Milne@Dundee.ac.uk (Humanities) or firstname.lastname@example.org (Law).
Further details of the UKPASS application process
Start your UKPASS application for Art & Design (DJCAD), English, History, Law or Philosophy
Please ensure the following two questions under Supplementary Information are completed:-