Job offer available in Scotland Apprentice Mechanical Engineer at Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University – Estates
|Placed on:||22nd August 2017|
|Closes:||4th September 2017|
A Modern Apprenticeship is a work based training programme that leads to an industry approved qualification. The training is both on and off-the-job, ensuring modern apprentices learn the right mix of skills, abilities and knowledge.
You will work in a small team of Mechanical Engineers, working within a multi-trade workforce. You will carry out day to day maintenance and minor works on a variety of mechanical systems in both academic and residential buildings. The work includes operation of a variety of mechanical systems, boiler plant and heating and ventilation systems. These are important and responsible tasks within an interesting and rewarding working environment providing both regular maintenance on an expanding campus and more specific works for research projects.
To train as an Apprentice Mechanical Engineer and develop the required level of skills, knowledge, experience and competence during a 4 year apprenticeship programme. To ensure that expected levels of performance on the job and through vocational studies are maintained throughout the apprenticeship.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
The core skills, experience and personal attributes of the post holder are noted below. The duties of the post will include:
- Attend college and complete all necessary studies to become a fully qualified Electrician.
- To attend training courses as required.
- To attain as a minimum an SVQ level 3 Mechanical Engineering Apprenticeship qualification within a requisite training period and ensuring excellent course attendance and participation. Ideally the role holder be willing to work towards, post SVQ level 3 qualification, an HNC Mechanical Engineering.
- To attain a Mechanical Engineer Apprenticeship qualification within a requisite period.
The post holder will be required to assist with the safe operation and maintenance of the plant and equipment associated with the provision of mechanical engineering services in accordance with recognised mechanical engineering and construction industry standards.
Requirements of Post holder
- a) Work Experience/Formal Qualifications:
- As a minimum requirement you should hold (or awaiting results expecting to achieve) 3 National 5’s or Standard Grade qualifications (or equivalent) in Maths, English and a science subject Physics and / or Chemistry all at credit level.
- Further technical and / or information studies would be of benefit along with an understanding of the principles of mechanics and engineering services.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of migrant workers. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
For application details and further information please go to:
Share this job
If you have a comment to make about the overall quality of this advert,
or its categorisation then please
send us your feedback