Free open Job in North, South & Central America Senior Research Fellow/Research Fellow (Seismologist) at University of the West Indies
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate must possess a PhD or equivalent in Seismology or Geophysics.
Candidates must also have:
- A BSc in Earth Science, Physics or Geophysics
- Ideally at least five years of observatory-type experience working with tectonic and/or volcanic seismicity in a regional setting including routine determination of hypocentre locations, magnitudes and fault-plane solutions
- Experience in the operation of modern telemetered digital seismograph networks for the detection and assessment of regional earthquakes
- Experience in the application of seismic and other techniques for monitoring active volcanoes
- Experience with Python, Earthworm, Seisan, Seiscomp, Soufriere System/WURST and Seed and programming in Python, C and C++
Experience in a leadership role would be advantageous. Work experience in a similar institute would be an asset.
- Leading the Seismic Research Centre (SRC) program in seismology and related areas
- Assisting with the development and supervision of post-graduate students involved in this discipline
- Maintaining the regional, instrumental, earthquake catalogue, ensuring its completeness and consistency
- Ensuring the efficient operation and maintenance of the seismic network
- Providing oversight to the technical seismology staff and coordinating and contributing to their ongoing training and development.
- Interpreting seismic data and reporting to the SRC Director regularly, particularly with regard to the necessity for and timeliness of warnings to be provided to SRC contributing territories
- Taking charge of the setup and operation of seismological software (e.g. Earthworm, Seiscomp) on SRC’s data acquisition and processing servers
- Working with National Disaster Management Agencies and the engineering community in the Caribbean to promote the development and use of appropriate building codes in the design and construction of structures
- Assisting with the day-to-day running of the SRC
The Centre places high priority on individuals of integrity who can work well in a team and student friendly environment. Candidates should also possess good communication and interpersonal skills. A good command of both oral and written English is essential. Candidates must also:
- Have knowledge of computer programming and software development
- Be able to communicate science to non-scientists, with diplomacy and sensitivity, across the entire social spectrum and to government officials
- Have demonstrated presentation and communication skills, and be particularly adept in conveying complex ideas to a range of audiences
Detailed application and full curriculum vitae should be sent to the Campus Registrar, c/o HR Division (Appointments Section), Main Administration Building, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. via e-mail: HRApplications@sta.uwi.edu. Three (3) referees (one of whom should be from your present organization) must be indicated. Application forms may be obtained at http://www.sta.uwi.edu in the Faculty & Staff, Staff Vacancies section. Further particulars including remuneration package may also be obtained at the above address. In order to expedite the appointment procedures, applicants are advised to ask their referees to send their references under CONFIDENTIAL cover DIRECTLY to the Campus Registrar at the above address without waiting to be contacted by the University. Applications received after the deadline date will not be considered.
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: July 21st 2019