Free open Job in North, South & Central America Fisheries Scientist (Marine Finfish) at Falkland Islands Government
The objective of the Fisheries Scientist (Finfish) for the Falkland Islands Government is to ensure that conservation goals are met for commercially targeted fish populations providing long term sustainable exploitation and includes monitoring and assessing the status of offshore finfish and skate stocks. The successful candidate will also conduct biological and ecological research of these stocks, as required, to deliver sustainably managed fish fisheries.
- Expertise to conduct biological and ecological research on finfish stocks around the Falkland Islands, and supervise departmental research projects.
- Familiar with age and growth, reproductive and population biology of fish and have experience in fish ageing techniques using otoliths and other growth increment bearing structures.
- Capable of working as part of a small, dedicated team and be prepared to fill a flexible role.
- Must be qualified to PhD level in an appropriate fisheries or biological discipline with ideally two years’ experience in fisheries biology and managing scientific projects with a good publication record.
- Ideally 3 years’ experience working as part of a fish fishery management team, with evidence of advising decision makers on sustainably managed finfish fisheries is also essential.
- Fixed Term Contract of up to 4 years
- Salary Range, basic starting salary £37k up to £41k per annum commensurate with qualifications and experience with Eligibility for a 25% Gratuity
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus public holidays
- Relocation Allowance, Flights Package and Subsidised Housing
How to Apply
For further information regarding the position please contact Alexander Arkhipkin, Senior Fisheries Scientist by emailing AArkhipkin@fisheries.gov.fk or by calling (+500) 27260.
To apply, please complete our online application form from our vacancy page www.jobs.gov.fk, by clicking on ‘Apply Now’ and completing the form. Alternatively, download an offline form from the same page and email to email@example.com before the closing date.
Applications close 28 August 2020 at 2030 GMT.