Free open Job in North, South & Central America Director of the Montserrat Volcano Observatory at University of the West Indies
The Director will be responsible for the efficient and effective running of the Montserrat Volcano Observatory (MVO) and for reporting on the status of the volcanic activity at the Soufriere Hills Volcano in a regular and timely manner to the appropriate authorities, as defined by the Montserrat Volcano Observatory Act (Cap. 10.11) of the Laws of Montserrat. He/she will have overall responsibility for the health and safety of the staff of the MVO during the performance of their duties.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate must possess a PhD in a volcanological related subject (e.g. Earth Science, Volcanology, Seismology, Geophysics).
Candidates should also have:
- Extensive experience as a practicing earth scientist in geoscience projects or an equivalent professional background, a considerable amount of which should be at the project management level
- Special expertise in Financial, Human Resources and Project Management Leadership, Communication and Strategic thinking
- Experience as a practising earth scientist in geoscience projects
- Experience in outreach programs
Experience in management of scientific organisations, residential experience at a volcano observatory or an institute similar to the SRC and experience in interacting with civilian authorities will be assets.
The Centre places high priority on individuals of integrity who can work well in a team and student friendly environment. Candidates should also possess good communication and interpersonal skills. A good command of both oral and written English is essential. Candidates must also:
- Be calm, sensible, honest, flexible, determined, motivational, inspiring, enthusiastic
- Have good work ethic
- Possess knowledge of volcano monitoring techniques
- Be flexible with the ability to motivate and build a team
- Have strong leadership skills and be able to think strategically
The appointment is for a fixed term ending no later than 2021 September 30.
Detailed application and full curriculum vitae should be sent to the Campus Registrar, c/o HR Division (Appointments Section), Main Administration Building, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. via e-mail: HRApplications@sta.uwi.edu. Three (3) referees (one of whom should be from your present organization) must be indicated. Application forms may be obtained at http://www.sta.uwi.edu in the Faculty & Staff, Staff Vacancies section. Full advertisement and further particulars including remuneration package may also be obtained at the above address. In order to expedite the appointment procedures, applicants are advised to ask their referees to send their references under CONFIDENTIAL cover DIRECTLY to the Campus Registrar at the above address without waiting to be contacted by the University.
Applications received after the deadline date will not be considered.
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: 2019 April 28