Job offer in london Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Food Systems, Health and the Environment at SOAS University of London
The role and its responsibilities
SOAS University of London, is part of a research programme, Sustainable and Healthy Food System (SHEFS, http://blogs.lshtm.ac.uk/shefs/), funded by the Welcome Trust. The overarching objective of the SHEFS programme is to provide policy makers with novel, interdisciplinary evidence to define future food systems policies that deliver nutritious and healthy foods in an environmentally sustainable and socially equitable manner. Although the SHEFS research agenda has global relevance, it will train particular focus on two countries, India and South Africa. This Postdoctoral Fellow appointment is being made to help deliver SOAS’ research agenda, in collaboration with other programme partners, within SHEFS.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Professor of International Food, Agriculture and Health at SOAS as well as with other SHEFS colleagues on research topics relating to Food Systems, Health and the Environment, with particular reference to India and South Africa. This will include advanced statistical analysis of secondary data and may also involve contributing to primary data collection and analysis.
Skills and experience
- A PhD in Economics (with a strong empirical focus) is preferred, particularly in areas directly relevant to SHEFS, such as agricultural economics, development economics or environmental economics. However, we also encourage strong candidates from other disciplines relevant to the programme (eg. health sciences, agriculture, environmental sciences) to apply.
- Substantial experience with advanced statistical analysis using household or individual-level data.
- Good understanding of ongoing debates linking agriculture/food sector activities with nutrition/health and/or environmental outcomes in a development context.
- A collaborative research outlook and ability to work effectively as part of an interdisciplinary research team.
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Bhavani Shankar, email@example.com
Competitive benefits package
As an employer of choice SOAS offers an extensive benefits package including:
- 30 days holiday plus bank holidays and additional School closure days (pro rata for part time staff)
- Pension scheme with generous employer contribution
- Various loan schemes including season ticket and IT equipment
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity and Adoption Pay provisions, childcare voucher scheme, financial support for childcare
About the Centre for Development, Environment and Policy
The Centre undertakes research in the fields of applied economics, nutrition, health, sustainability and development. It brings together staff with strong but diverse specialist skills with experience in, and commitment to, the promotion of sustainable development and effective policy.
To apply for this vacancy or download a job description, please visit www.soas.ac.uk/jobs.
Completed applications must be received by 23:59 on the closing date to be considered.
Interviews will provisionally be held in the week commencing: 27th November 2017
If you have any questions or require any assistance with regard to the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
At SOAS we celebrate diversity and promote equality and inclusion amongst our staff and students. As such, we welcome applications from all, regardless of personal characteristics or background.