Job offer in london Disability & Wellbeing Manager – The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance
to £43,325 per annum
|Placed on:||2nd November 2017|
|Closes:||16th November 2017|
Reports to: Head of Student & Staff Services
Direct Reports: Disability Adviser
ICMP is the pioneer of contemporary music education in the UK and has been helping students build successful careers in the music industry for over 30 years. With a portfolio of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in popular music performance, production, creative musicianship, songwriting and music business we are proud of our mission to ‘shape the future of music’. Based in London we enjoy unparalleled industry connectivity and our recent development at Tileyard Studios will ensure our continuing success at the forefront of education and training in contemporary music.
The Disability & Wellbeing Service offers advice, information, guidance and support to prospective and current students and has responsibility for co-ordinating services and support for disabled students within ICMP. It makes recommendations to academic and departmental staff (facilities, data, programme support, etc.) on issues which affect students’ access to ICMP, including the learning and physical environment.
The role of the Disability & Wellbeing Manager is leading and managing the on-going development of effective support services for students. This will include working closely with the Head of Student & Staff Services on activities such as the strategic and operational development of the service, budget management, wellbeing events, student counselling service and the engagement and management of professional practitioners and external service providers.
- To lead and manage the development of ICMP’s Disability and Wellbeing services, working to review current policies and procedures, as well as create new systems and protocols.
- To take line managerial responsibility for the disability adviser, and deliver effective training/ staff development on disability and inclusive practice.
- To provide advice and guidance to current and prospective disabled students across all areas of disability, identify support needs, create support agreements and work closely with the Education Team and wider ICMP departments to ensure that students needs are met.
- The post holder will work with the Head of Student & Staff Services in all areas of leading and managing the strategic development of the Disability & Wellbeing Service.
- Develop and implement annual operational plans.
- To lead and manage the development of the service, working to create and implement policies and procedures relating to Disability, Student Mental Health, Fitness to Study etc.
- Develop a clear communication, promotion and marketing strategy to students for the Disability & Wellbeing Team.
- Identify, manage and develop key professional partnerships and engagement with external bodies.
- Manage the allocated budget, including monthly reporting.
- Provide information, advice, support and guidance for current and prospective students with disabilities as well as to parents/ guardians/carers at Open Days.
- Provide a single point of co-ordination for work with students with complex disabilities, and where necessary take lead responsibility for decision-making about student cases, and to advise/consult with the Head of Student & Staff Services in serious or complex cases.
- Provide lead advice and support to the Disability Adviser in relation to their casework with individual students (including liaison and co-ordination across the school), offering their own expertise and guidance on complex student cases.
- Ensure that staff operate with due attention to the requirements of the Equality Act, Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act, Health & Safety regulations and other relevant legislation as well as observing the requirement themselves.
- Work with the Head of Student & Staff Services to plan the long-term development of the service, drawing upon guidelines from external bodies.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Head of Student & Staff Services.
For a full role profile and person specification please go to our website: www.icmp.ac.uk If you are interested in applying for this role, please forward an up to date CV with a covering letter outlining why you feel you are suited for this role to:
Deadline for applications 16th November 2017
Interviews w/c 20th November 2017
Note: ICMP is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of the young people and vulnerable adults. Successful candidates will be required to obtain a satisfactory enhanced DBS disclosure
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
- Educated to degree level or equivalent plus a number of years relevant experience.
- Professional qualification in disability-related field.
Technical Competencies (Knowledge and Experience).
- Experience of leading and managing staff (E)
- Significant experience of working with disabled people in HE or similar setting. (E)
- Expert knowledge of a wide range of disabilities, mental health conditions and specific learning difficulties and their impact upon students. (E)
- Experience of writing, implementing and reviewing policy, guidance and training documentation in relation to disability. (E)
- Excellent understanding of key legislative requirements with the Equality Act 2010, Data Protection legislation, etc. (E)
- Experience of working one-to-one with students as an SPLD tutor. (E)
- Experience of conducting screenings with students for SPLD (E)
- Extensive practical working knowledge of DSA and other sectors (E)
- Understanding of changes to DSA and other sector changes (E)
- Ability to work flexibly outside of core office hours, e.g. some evenings, and occasional weekends (E)
- To be able to work flexibly across all types of disability and more widely within student wellbeing as a whole, in order to ensure the provision of high quality services to all students. (E)
- A knowledge of the uses of assistive technology for study (D)
- Customer/Client service and support
- Planning and Organising
- Continuous Improvement
- Problem Solving and Decision Making Skills
- Creative and Analytical Thinking
- Influencing, Persuasion and Negotiation Skills
- Strategic Thinking & Leadership.