Job offer in Ireland Director of Strategic Alliances (Professor of Practice) at Queen’s University Belfast
Queen’s University Belfast is the 9th oldest university in the UK, ranked in the world’s top 1% of universities. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework Queen’s was ranked 8th out of the 156 UK universities for Research Intensity. We have over 24,000 students of which 20% are studying at the post graduate level.
The Institute for Global Food Security is a designated Global Research Institute in the University. The Institute aims to develop solutions to the complex problem of delivering safe, nutritious, sustainable and authentic food supplies to the world’s population. The Institute encompasses a wide range of topics including, for example, crop and animal science, food production and engineering, waste management, climate change, nutrition, human health and human rights. The Institute takes a holistic approach to food security challenges using cutting-edge research activities right across the spectrum of food security research, to span the environment-farm-food-health-economics that redefines global food security research. In 2018 the Institute and School of Biological Sciences will co-locate in a purpose built £39 million building integrating research, education, enterprise and knowledge exchange.
The Institute is seeking to appoint a Professor of Practice as Director of Strategic Alliances. The post holder will bring substantial food and funding sector expertise and will act as a recognised figurehead for the Institute in forging new alliances with industry, regulators and funders.
The Institute has access to centralised, shared-use resource for staff and students across the Faculty of Medicine, Health and Life Sciences, offering advanced tools in bioinformatics, microscopy, mass spectroscopy and genomics. The Faculty is equipped with (i) a State-of-the-Art High Performance Computing and Research Data Storage environment; (ii) a Bioinformatics Hub is driving innovative bespoke solutions for big data warehousing/analysis, while (iii) an Informatics Unit provides cross faculty support for agri-food, health/bioinformatics research.
Further information about the Institute may be obtained at www.qub.ac.uk/Research/GRI/TheInstituteforGlobalFoodSecurity/
Informal enquires may be directed to Professor Andy Meharg, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone: (+44) 028 9097 5413.
The successful candidate must have:
- Honours degree
- Track record of highly-regarded published materials and/or other evidence that is used and referenced by relevant industry/professional/governmental bodies
- Successful international activity appropriate to professional/industrial context.
- Sustained record of playing a leading role in successful bids for competitive, peer-reviewed national or international grants or other awards with significant external peer reviewed research funding as a Principal Investigator over a sustained period.
- Leadership experience in the relevant wider professional community with demonstrable impact on the strategic direction of the profession/industry and/or field/discipline, such as:
- Award of prizes or recognition by peer-group bodies.
- Sustained track record of invited and keynote presentations.
- High-level membership of appropriate professional bodies or equivalent.
- Chair of national/international policy committees.
Full criteria can be found at www.qub.ac.uk/jobs
Full time, Permanent.
Anticipated interview date: Thursday 10 August 2017
Salary: Professor salary will be determined in accordance with the Professorial ranges as appliedwithin the University.
Closing date: Monday 3 July 2017
Apply online at www.qub.ac.uk/jobs. For further information or assistance contact the Personnel Department, Queen’s University Belfast, BT7 1NN. Telephone (028) 9097 3044 or email on email@example.com.
The University is committed to equality of opportunity and to selection on merit. It welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons. However, as people with disabilities and females are currently under-represented in this particular category of work, it would particularly welcome applications from these groups.