Job offer in Ireland Assistant Lecturer in Data Science at IT (Institute of Technology), Sligo
Closing Date Monday, 19th August 2019 @ 12 Noon
Grade Assistant Lecturer
Job specifications/application forms may be accessed on our website at: http://itsligo.ie/vacancies
Description of Post
The post relates primarily to the teaching, research, academic assessment and academic administrative direction of courses including:
- Bachelor of Arts/Science/Engineering degrees and related programmes (NFQ levels 6 to 9)
- Research supervision
Applicants must, as a minimum, hold an Honours Bachelor Degree at 2.2 or better in Computing/Computer Science/Computer Engineering, or related discipline.
Applicants must have significant post-qualification experience.
The person appointed must
- be capable of teaching subjects related to computer science.
- exhibit strong industry experience in the relevant discipline
- evidence the necessary experience to deliver courses across a broad range of areas in computing
Project management, teamwork and leadership skills, and excellent communication skills are absolutely essential.
- A postgraduate qualification in Computing/Computer Science, or in a closely related area.
- Active in research in an industrial or academic environment
- Industrial experience in a Data Science, Big Data or Data Analytics
- Teaching experience in Computer Science or related area in a third-level environment
- Experience of online teaching
- Membership of professional bodies
- Expertise in at least 2 of the following areas:
- ○ Machine learning and big data products within Amazon Web Services (AWS), Hadoop, Spark and Kafka
- ○ Programming in R, Python and/ MATLAB
- ○ Technologies and Big Data Infrastructures e.g. SPARQL on Cassandra
- ○ Linear Algebra, Statistical Modelling and/ Pattern Recognition
- Additional desirable skills
- ○ Database including NoSQL and SQL
- ○ Big data concepts, strategies and methodologies
- ○ Signal processing
- ○ Image/audio transformation
- ○ Natural language processing
- ○ BI or graphical visualization tools (Microsoft Power BI, Tableau and/Qlikview)
- ○ cloud Computing (Azure, AWS)
The salary scale for public servants employed at 31st December 2010 is €41,533 to €51,502 (8 points).
The salary scale for new entrants to the public service from 1st January 2011 is €37,482 to €51,502 (10 points), with all new entrants starting on the first point of the scale.