Job offer in england Research Technician at University of Birmingham
SALARY: Full time starting salary is normally in the range £22,722 to £24,411. With potential progression once in post to £28,259 a year.
DURATION: Fixed-term for 3 years
LOCATION: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
The School of Chemical Engineering are looking to recruit a Research Technician who will be responsible for the reliable daily management and safe operation of the laboratory facilities within the research laboratories. To provide technical supporting the research and development for Thermal Energy Researcher Accelerator (T-ERA) research laboratory within the School of Chemical Engineering based in the Metallurgy & Material Building.
The post holder will be responsible for the daily management of the laboratory facilities within the T-ERA laboratories. They will provide direct support to the research activities of the groups. This will include designing, developing, assembling and maintaining laboratory scale and technical apparatus according to research needs. They will be responsible for the maintenance and support a variety of scientific instruments (detailed in Main duties section). They will implement and monitor the management of Health and Safety, Estates and laboratory housekeeping matters related to the Chemical Engineering
The post holder will report to the Academic Leads for the research group for technical direction and the report to School Technical Manager / Building Manager with regards to Health and Safety, Estates and basic housekeeping matters.
- Educated in a science subject (preferable engineering) to degree level or equivalent experience
- GCSE (A*- C) or equivalent in mathematics and English
- NEBOSH General Certificate or similar H&S qualification highly desirable or willingness/ability to undertake.
- Responsible for continually monitoring compliance of all local, School and University Health and Safety, Fire Safety and laboratory housekeeping policies within the research group and school and taking any necessary action. Conduct routine checks on the Oxygen monitoring Systems, and Engineering Controls such Local Exhaust Ventilation system, Glove Box and Fume cupboards.
- It is desirable to have practical and theoretical knowledge of a range of analytical techniques including in the list below, please note the equipment list will adapt to support the group’s evolving research interest. While it is appreciated that this is a diverse list it would be expected that the post holder would develop knowledge and experience in all aspects over time:
X-Ray Tomography Scanner
Surface Area and Pore Size analyser
High Pressure Simultaneous Thermal Analyser
Laser Flash Analyser
Differential Scanning Calorimeter
High Temperature Compressive/Tensile tester
High Temperature Cycling Furnace
Precise Cutting Device
- Ability to instruct and demonstrate analytical techniques to staff and research students
- Knowledge of and basic skills (to at least fault finding level) in IT (including software packages) and electronics.
- Good knowledge of health and safety issues, including compliance with Radiation policies, COSHH and Risk Assessments and to undertake electrical safety testing.
Informal enquiries can be made to Jackie Deans: J.K.Deans@bham.ac.uk
Closing date: 28 February 2019 Reference: 80699
To download the full job description and details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button below, please quote Job Ref 80699 in all enquiries.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment