Job offer in england Data and Policy Analyst at BBSRC
Contract Type: Fixed Term – 2 years
Hours: Full time (part-time/secondment considered)
The Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) invests in world-class bioscience research and training on behalf of the UK public. Our aim is to further scientific knowledge, to promote economic growth, wealth and job creation and to improve quality of life in the UK and beyond.
For more information about BBSRC, our science and our impact see: http://www.bbsrc.ac.uk.
About the role
Within the Evidence and Evaluation Function, we are seeking to further develop our analytical capabilities, exploiting advances in auto-classification, text analytics and data visualisation. With data at the heart of our work, we are enabling rapid, data driven insights into our portfolio of research investments, outputs and outcomes.
In this new role, as Data and Policy Analyst, you will be closely involved in this work which interfaces with many areas of the office, spanning the full remit of BBSRC science. You will play an important role in analysing the portfolio of BBSRC research investments, outputs and outcomes, reporting on these portfolios, looking for trends and patterns in the data, and providing the evidence base to inform BBSRC decision making and strategic planning.
Main job activities
- explore the potential of emerging tools and approaches for the analysis of BBSRC research investments and outputs data which measurably enhance BBSRC’s analytical capability
- contribute to enabling large and complex data sets to be presented and accessed in a simple and intuitive format for all users, including linking multiple datasets from different sources for integrated analysis
- contribute to group and office wide activities, for example, attending BBSRC, Cross-Council and external meetings and deputising for colleagues as required
- respond to requests for information on BBSRC research investments, including Parliamentary questions, Ministerial briefing and Freedom of Information requests
- carry out strategic analysis of the BBSRC research portfolio
- contribute to the development of standard reports and dashboards relating to BBSRC investments
- Develop analyses of BBSRC research outcomes data to inform various stakeholders and support colleagues in accessing and using these data.
You will be educated to degree level and/or have equivalent relevant experience. You will be highly numerate and IT literate, with experience of accurate data analysis using large datasets.
Experience of working with data visualisation software is essential and demonstrable programming experience would also be a great advantage. You will be well organised and adaptable to change, with the ability to work flexibly across a range of activities and competing demands.
You should be a confident communicator with excellent interpersonal skills and a strong team player.
You will need to be able and willing to travel and work away from the office and outside normal working hours on occasion.
How to apply
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services (UK SBS).
To find out more about this post, the role requirements and information on how to apply please visit our job board at: http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc243491_7748.aspx.
Please submit your CV detailing your educational and professional background, and a covering letter (not more than two sides of A4) explaining why you are applying and describing how your skills and experience meet the requirements and expectations for the role.
BBSRC is an Equal Opportunities Employer