Free open Job in Australasia Solutions Manager – Faculty of Science at University of Auckland, New Zealand
New Zealand eScience Infrastructure (NeSI) is a collaboration of four institutions, including the University of Auckland, working in partnership with the Crown to provide High Performance Computing (HPC), analytics and consultancy services to the NZ Research sector, Government Initiatives/Agencies and Industrial Research.
Significant research outcomes have resulted from the use of NeSI platforms and services across several scientific domains including health, biodiversity, biochemistry, climate, weather and geology. Researchers depend on advanced HPC capabilities to achieve their goals, and NeSI is at the forefront of this innovation.
The Solutions Manager role is an infrastructure leadership position within NeSI which requires a strategically minded and hands-on technologist keen to enable and enhance research through applying advanced computational technologies. This role will see you:
- Provide technical leadership and management to the HPC Solutions service line team (Scientific Programmers, Analysts, Application Support Specialists and Solution Architects);
- Managing the refresh of NeSI infrastructure, evolving services and transitioning users to this new infrastructure.
- Lead solutions design and delivery that enables NeSI and researchers to overcome performance challenges, establishing a leadership position for NeSI’s services and partnerships;
- Lead NeSI’s services development and delivery approaches to support high performance computing, cloud computing, and research data services;
- Provide strategic planning and vision for the adoption of innovative solutions that further our HPC capabilities.
- Build partnerships with research communities and their institutions, and work with research and information technology stakeholders to identify and promote strategic research sector needs and opportunities;
- Support the preparation of reports for the Board and key stakeholders as well as budget preparation and management.
This role requires a solutions design background in either a High Performance Computing or research/complex computing environment; and a strong track record in scientific research, software and computing systems leadership and management. You’ll have gained your experience in a specialised and performance oriented research computing environment, and ideally have knowledge of HPC, eResearch or Research IT environments at least equal in complexity and scale to NeSI (www.nesi.org.nz) and the broad research sector mandate NeSI supports. Your educational background will include a postgraduate degree in a computationally intensive field of science; e.g engineering, quantitative social science, computational physics or chemistry.
As an effective leader, you’ll gain the respect of the team because you’re technical by training, but you’re also that rare breed that understands the human element and aspires to manage and motivate a team. You’ll have the commercial nous to work effectively in a joint venture environment, and the communication skills to foot it with the wider team, the research communities and institutions as well as the user community.
Over the past year NeSI has been central to significant research outcomes including: supporting researchers to highlight the range of environmental pressures that the Ross Sea region of Antarctica faces and confirmation of ground breaking theoretical physics research info formation of gases into droplets.
These are just two of our success stories.
Join us in creating more as we continue to innovate and support the research community in New Zealand and beyond.
The University is committed to meeting its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi and achieving equity outcomes for staff and students in a safe, inclusive and equitable environment. For further information on services for Māori, Pacific, women, LGBTI, equity groups, parenting support and flexible work go to www.equity.auckland.ac.nz.
Closes 6 Nov 2017