Free open Job in Australasia Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Insect Biology – Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
Macquarie is the university of pioneering minds. Globally recognised as one of Australia’s leading research universities, Macquarie is a place where extraordinary new possibilities come to light. We’ve helped people to hear, introduced wireless internet technology to the world and broken through traditional boundaries by appointing Australia’s first female vice-chancellor.
At Macquarie you’ll join a vibrant community of diverse perspectives, all working towards a brighter future for our communities and our planet. Surrounded by beautiful parkland campus, our students and staff are free to explore and discover, supported by facilities including a high-tech library, private teaching hospital, gym and pools, childcare facilities, a campus train station and the newly expanded Macquarie Centre shopping complex next door.
In Macquarie’s Faculty of Science and Engineering you’ll join passionate researchers and educators blazing new trails in the spirit of discovery and exploration. Encouraged to think boldly, and supported by some of Australia’s most outstanding facilities, brilliant minds converge in our faculty to create incredible new possibilities: the world’s first attempt to synthesize complex life, the creation of Wi-Fi, the discovery of dancing dwarf galaxies, and the development of blue LED light. Inspired by challenge and opportunity, we look forward to welcoming you as we imagine a new future together.
Department of Biological Sciences
The Department of Biological Sciences at Macquarie University is a vibrant and collegial community of teachers, researchers and students working across a wide range of biological disciplines. We are a leading research department, conducting research at all levels of biological organisation as well as across a diversity of taxa. Our areas of research strength are animal behaviour, conservation biology, ecology and evolution. Emerging areas of research strength are biosecurity (invasive pests and pathogens), urban ecology and climate change adaptation. For more information please visit http://bio.mq.edu.au/
The Department of Biological Sciences is seeking to appoint a dynamic and enthusiastic individual as Lecturer/Senior Lecturer. We are seeking candidates with an established research track record in insect biology. Applicants with research strengths in invasion biology and biosecurity, which may include approaches that emphasise ecology (from species to landscapes and biogeography), genetics, omics or physiology, are particularly welcome.
This position is an exciting opportunity to develop a world-class research program in insect biology that draws strength from the department’s excellence in integrative biology and supports the Department’s strategic aims to build on its research strengths in biosecurity and ecology.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and lead a research program in insect biology / biosecurity
- Proactively build research collaborations, both internal and external
- Support their research through diverse funding sources
- Strive for excellence in teaching including Higher Degree Research supervision
- Contribute to the full range of departmental activities
To be considered for this position applications must respond to the selection criteria below and attach as a separate document in the application process.
Essential criteria (Level B):
- PhD in insect invasion biology, ecology, entomology or a related field
- Evidence of high quality continuing research including a demonstrated track record in quality publications
- Experience in student supervision at Honours or Higher Degree Research level
- Experience in developing and delivering high quality teaching materials
- Ability to attract external research funding
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and with other members of the University
Additional selection criteria for appointment at Level C
- An outstanding track record of excellence in research in insect invasion biology, ecology, entomology or a related field
- Evidence of success in obtaining funding from diverse sources to support research
- Ability to build partnerships with industry and research agencies outside the higher education sector
- Demonstrated success in teaching and curriculum development
- Evidence of high quality supervision of Higher Degree Research students
Commensurate with experience from $99,879 – $118,174 p.a. (Level B) or Level C from $121,953 to $140,246 p.a., plus 17% employer’s superannuation and annual leave loading.
Appointment Type: Full-time continuing
Specific Role Enquiries: Professor Michelle Leishman on firstname.lastname@example.org or +61 2 9850 9180
General Recruitment Enquiries:
Diane Abinoja on email@example.com or +61 2 9850 9726
Applications Close: Sunday 2 July 2017, 11:55pm Australian Eastern Standard Time
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.
Advertised: 06 Jun 2017 AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 02 Jul 2017 AUS Eastern Standard Time