Free open Job in Australasia Lecturer in English at The University of Sydney
Reference no. 363/0217
- Opportunity for a scholar with expertise in Modern and Contemporary Literature
- Join an organisation the encourages progressive thinking, contributing to a world-leading department
- Full-time, fixed term for 3.5 years
About the opportunity
The Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences (FASS) at the University of Sydney is Australia’s oldest and most comprehensive faculty of its kind. As one of the leading liberal arts faculties in the world, it has an outstanding reputation for teaching and research in the humanities and social sciences.
The School of Literature, Art and Media is a vibrant school whose pedagogic practice, research profile and external engagements are shaped by lively synergies between traditional disciplines such as English Art History, and Linguistics and newer formations such as Media and Communications, Film Studies and Museum Studies. The School is home to the Medieval and Early Modern Centre, the Sydney node of the ARC Centre of Excellence for the History of Emotions, and Celtic Studies.
The Department of English is the oldest and largest in Australia. Its staff teach across the full range of literature in extensive undergraduate and postgraduate programs. In the most recent ERA research assessment exercise the ‘Literature’ area delivered the highest score possible (‘5’). The department is home to world-leading researchers and a vital research culture.
In this lectureship opportunity you will:
- teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses with a focus on Modern and Contemporary Literature
- make a contribution to the research strengths and outputs of the school
- supervise, where required, higher degree research students
- participate, where appropriate, in interdisciplinary collaborations within the university and beyond
- contribute to academic administration.
The role reports to the Chair of the Department of English.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for a Lecturer in English who possesses:
- a complete PhD in an area of Modern and/or Contemporary Literature
- ability to teach Modern and Contemporary Literature
- teaching experience at tertiary level
- an established research profile and detailed and achievable research plans
- academic administration skills
- excellent teamwork and communication skills.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia’s first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across 9 campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 47,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number for more information and to apply.
CLOSING DATE: 11:30pm 19 March 2017 (Sydney time)
© The University of Sydney