Free open Job in Australasia Engineering Fermented Meat Foods With Unique Flavours and Texture at AgResearch Ltd
The Role and Opportunity
AgResearch have an exciting opportunity for a Post-doctoral Researcher to join the Food Assurance and Meat Quality team based in Palmerston North, and support the delivery of a 5-year programme in Fermented Foods Programme funded by the New Zealand Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE).
The goal of the MBIE Fermented Foods Programme is to optimise microbial metabolites produced during fermentation, to manipulate the sensory and physical attributes of a new generation of clean-label fermented foods. The Programme will deliver a science and technology pipeline underpinning the development of a new generation of clean-label fermented foods based on new sensory signatures and textural properties from individual evolved strains and synergistic communities, specifically targeting Asian export market.
You will be involved in the development of meat science and bio-processing engineering solutions for transforming meat products through fermentation. The research will involve the understanding of complex chemistry and physical attributes, physicochemical interactions between ingredients, metabolites produced by new cultures, and safety requirement.
In this role you will be working with a number of highly enthusiastic multi-disciplinary project teams delivering high quality science outcomes relevant to New Zealand food industry priorities. You will also work with our collaborations in New Zealand such as Massey University and Callaghan who are the research partners of the programme, our industry partners and international collaborators.
What you will be doing
- Work with the broader team to design and implement experimental protocols that will generate the science required to support the development of bio-processing of fermented meat products.
- Conduct research in the laboratory and pilot facilities; and involvement in all stages of the preparation, processing and analysis of products.
- Co-supervising students (e.g. visiting PhD student) working on the project.
Your ideal background
- PhD degree in a relevant field or appropriate post graduate qualification and relevant practical experience.
- Proven track record in meat science and/or bio-processing engineer.
- Peer-reviewed publication record.
- Proven delivery of outcomes to the industry.
- Good understanding of food safety in meat processing.
- Uses scientific methodologies for all research, including literature searching; hypothesis-based experimental design and statistical analysis; and follows rigorous development and documentation procedures for research protocols. Has an understanding of intellectual property.
When your work environment fits your values and your lifestyle, it’s a better place to be! AgResearch provide a diverse range of benefits including flexible working options that help our staff balance their own lifestyle and needs with their work commitments. You can view the full list here: http://www.agresearchcareers.co.nz/working-here/our-benefits/
How to apply
If this sounds like you, apply today via https://careers.sciencenewzealand.org/agresearch-jobdetails/ajid/9Auy8/Post-doctoral-Researcher-Fermented-Foods-Programme,28070.html with a covering letter detailing why you feel you would be suitable for this position.
For a confidential discussion contact Li Day, Programme Leader on 0219 28 273 or Gale Brightwell, Science Team Leader on 06 351 8678.
Applications close Thursday 31st May 2018.